Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Error in Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA recipe  (Read 3115 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Error in Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:12 am »
BYO has made many ridiculous changes lately that, in my opinion, have taken down an otherwise good and informative publication.  My paper subscription ends this fall.

Really.  I still love the BYO, and Zymurgy as well.  Two excellent magazines, every issue cover to cover.

I suppose an explanation is in order.  Before recently, I was able to use my account number from my printed publication to go on-line to the BYO website to research stories, articles and recipes with ZERO restrictions.  I simply entered the account number that was printed on the mailing label that was stuck on the magazine.  This is no longer the case.  Instead, they’ve hit me with many unsolicited emails with links to articles and recipes that take me to a solicitation page that want me to spend more money to get the stuff I use to get included in my subscription.

So, I agree, the magazine has very good and useful information.  However, it seems they’ve become nothing more than a money-grab....IMO.  Once my subscription expires this fall, I’m going to check out the Zymurgy publication instead.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 06:52:29 am »
BYO has made many ridiculous changes lately that, in my opinion, have taken down an otherwise good and informative publication.  My paper subscription ends this fall.

Really.  I still love the BYO, and Zymurgy as well.  Two excellent magazines, every issue cover to cover.

I suppose an explanation is in order.  Before recently, I was able to use my account number from my printed publication to go on-line to the BYO website to research stories, articles and recipes with ZERO restrictions.  I simply entered the account number that was printed on the mailing label that was stuck on the magazine.  This is no longer the case.  Instead, they’ve hit me with many unsolicited emails with links to articles and recipes that take me to a solicitation page that want me to spend more money to get the stuff I use to get included in my subscription.

So, I agree, the magazine has very good and useful information.  However, it seems they’ve become nothing more than a money-grab....IMO.  Once my subscription expires this fall, I’m going to check out the Zymurgy publication instead.

Ah, I see.  In those respects, an AHA membership has way more benefits than a BYO subscription.  More bang for the buck, that's for sure.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:57:28 am »
^^^^^^^

Thanks Dave!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 07:42:44 am »

For me, this (digital subscription as a set of HTML-based articles) was one of the most disappointing changes in the approach BYO appears to be taking for delivering home brewing information.  I was disappointed to see that they will revise 'original' articles - but if their approach is to deliver current home brewing content, it makes sense to update outdated information.  For me, most of the mid 2017 & early 2018 issues didn't deliver enough value (obvious this is a personal opinion) and early implementation of the web site (their minimum viable product wasn't my useful web site) was the tipping point - and I did not renew my subscription.

For me, it's about authors, not about organizations that package and distribute content.  At the moment, I'm seeing the potential for positive changes for BYO.

I could not agree more.  Well said Brewn!
Joliet, IL