Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommend a Beer Fridge  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Fiddledeedee

• 1st Kit
Recommend a Beer Fridge
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:23:06 pm »
I'm looking for a good beer fridge to clear out some space in my kitchen refrigerator.

I don't want a dorm fridge but don't have the budget to get anything too expensive. Can anyone recommend a good one with reasonable price tag or share your reviews?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:49:29 pm by Fiddledeedee »
You can find me blogging @ Toodrie | CleverMicro

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Recommend a Beer Fridge
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:32:48 am »
Lowes quite often has great prices on floor models and units with cosmetic flaws and/or minor freight damage. I got a 14 cf Frigidaire that normally sells for $499 for $235. It came with a normal warranty. It had a minor dent where the hinge plates for the top and bottom doors attach. Very hard to see the damage, but if you opened both doors at the same time they would touch each other when opened about 45 degrees. I've been using it for several months and it works great. The only downside is they didn't offer free delivery.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »
If there's a college near you I'd recommend waiting until December or May when students move out. A lot of them just throw out perfectly good mini fridges.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:56 pm »
I use a regular top freezer fridge and store my hops in the freezer. That freed up my food fridge and I was able to get rid of the little chest freezer I was using exclusively for hops.

You can get a cheap top mount on Craigslist for about $100.00. You don't really want an ice maker in it because they just get in the way. If you're clever you can replace the inner door panel with fiberglass shower board and drill a hole in the door for your taps.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:19 am »
   The problem with refrigerator freezers is that they all are frost free anymore, meaning the contents are regularly subjected to thawing during the defrost cycle. If all I had available was a frost free freezer, I'd store my hops in the fridge, at least the temperature remains more or less constant. Just one person's viewpoint.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:53 pm »
   The problem with refrigerator freezers is that they all are frost free anymore, meaning the contents are regularly subjected to thawing during the defrost cycle. If all I had available was a frost free freezer, I'd store my hops in the fridge, at least the temperature remains more or less constant. Just one person's viewpoint.

You can kill the defrost circuit. It's on a controller board usually located in a panel above the lower compartment. Google your fridge make and model and look at its electrical diagram. It will be pretty obvious how to do it.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!