Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kona Brewing from a bottle...  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kona Brewing from a bottle...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »

They closed down the Redhook facility in Woodinville, WA a few years ago.  They used to brew Redhook, Kona, and Widmer there.  Last I heard, it was being brewed in OR, but that may be wrong.
Craft Brew Alliance is not ABI.  Yes, there is some ownership, but it is not majority.  It trades as a public company, I think.

I simply refuse to buy Elysian, 10 Barrel, Goose Island, and all of the other ABI brands that dominate the shelves.

Thought I read that ABI had completed full takeover of CBA, and that this had led to further facilities closures.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:29 pm »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

Kona Brewing from a bottle...
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 06:00:02 am »
Reminds me of Bourbon. Very few distilleries but SO many labels. Hmmmm. Come to find out one distillery in Indiana distills most of them from a menu of grain bills. Much like these "Potemkin distilleries" I believe we have “Potemkin breweries”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:27:26 am by BrewBama »

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
^^^^
My local outlets seem to always have a sixer of Redhook IPA on the shelf.  Maybe the same one for years.  Widmer?  Nowhere. Kona has had a good chunk of shelf space for several years and looks not to have peaked yet at all.  BTW it just says "brewed and canned by Kona Brewing Co., Wherever, Hawaii" or whatever.  Wonder where the stuff here is really made?  No indication of actual production site.  (Most brands seem to list the headquarters and various other sites.)

I recently picked up a mixed 12 pack of Redhook that was an IPA pack (shock..) it included their two stand-bys, Longhammer and Big Ballard (an Imperial) and then two "pilot" brews from the BrewLab in Seattle (a small bar/pilot brewery so Redhook stays anchored in Seattle) Peaches for Me, a fruit IPA and Bicoastal IPA (billed as a West Coast version of a New England IPA).  It happened to be pretty fresh and in my opinion was all very good. Kinda sad that they are barely hanging on.

Back in March, Jeff Alworth posted on his blog the break down of CBA beers for 2018. Redhook is about 10% of total volume, Widmer about 15%.. the other 75% is Kona.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2019/3/7/widmer-brothers-slow-descent?fbclid=IwAR2UI6g556NxJ-TLQg3cMGDmWJZZzFexm6bo0SkUQtYTwQmRuJPa2D12-zA
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 09:34:24 am »
I didn't know Goose Island is ABI. Won't be buying that one any more.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

Kona Brewing from a bottle...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 01:30:05 pm »

You might be surprised at who owns who. Even this graphic is dated with new mergers and acquisitions happening routinely.

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 02:08:56 pm »

You might be surprised at who owns who. Even this graphic is dated with new mergers and acquisitions happening routinely.

Just remembered this, I don't know how up to date it is either.  But if you religiously object to buying beer of impure provenance,  you can wander the beer aisle with this on your phone.

https://www.craftorcrafty.com/

Or not.  Just sayin'.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »
And IMO some of theose partnerships/ownerships are more onerous than others.  For instance, I have no problem with Duvel/Moortgat ownership.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell