Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Founders KBS  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Founders KBS
« on: June 29, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »
As a home brewer, is this the same as playing Triple A and knowing you'll never make the Majors?  Maybe you all are close, but I'll never make a beer with this much complexity. Not that I won't try!
Dear lord, was this delicious. Coffee, yes. Chocolate, yes.  But the bourbon buzz put me over the edge.  Just...Yum.

Where does one buy used bourbon barrels?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Founders KBS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:15 am »
Bourbon Barrels are easy to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:54:53 am »
   FYI, if you can still get them, Balcones barrels are just >5 gallons, the Reservoir barrels which I believe are still available are a touch over 6 Gallons.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:52:35 pm »
How many batches can one put through a barrel before it stops imparting any additional flavor?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:36:08 pm »
@Megary - You can also look around and see if you have any distilleries within driving distance.  I'm fortunate to have one close by and can usually get pretty good deals on barrels.

@waltsmalt - You can use a barrel for multiple batches, but most of main flavor you're trying to get is usually gone after the first one.  I have a bourbon barrel that has been used a couple times.  The second use gave more of an oak aged and "woody" flavor.  It was still great, but very little of the delicious vanilla flavors you get from a fresh bourbon barrel.