Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Automated Brewing  (Read 4820 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Automated Brewing
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 03:38:49 pm »
Has anyone used the Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil system?

Yep.  Not a big fan.
Don’t you use the mash and boil as a mash tun?

Edit: I seen you use it as an HLT. I guess it’s okay for heating water.

Now I use it for a HLT.  I wasn't very happy with it as the all in one brewing system it'a supposed to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 03:21:49 pm »
Seem like Denny is becoming the "Consumer Reports" for homebrewing systems!   ;)

Over the past year, I switched from an outdoor propane-based keggles & cooler system to an indoor all-electric HERMS.  I'm saving time in a few ways.

I don't have as much set-up/take-down time because the new system is permanently set up in my basement.

I don't travel up/down the basement steps with equipment, supplies or full fermenters.

My whole operation is on one floor - storage, brewing, fermenting, packaging, serving.  No more "I forgot something upstairs/downstairs/inside/outside...."

Being able to walk away while strike water heats or stepping-up to the next mash temperature and not fighting wind or weather (we have those here in Cleveland, OH).

Because I can step away, I can get other things done during the brew day - usually several loads of laundry and some brewery maintenance.

My system isn't fully automated - and I like that.  I want to be able to make adjustments "on the fly" and remain fairly hands-on with the process.  The automation it has is just enough to make thing more convenient and consistent.   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:35:33 pm by yugamrap »
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:09 pm »
Has anyone used the Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil system?

I have the Mash and Boil and have been brewing with the Zymatic since the first year that it was out of Kick Starter funding. Here is my compare and contrast report:

Mash Boil
Pros
Inexpensive, very easy to use and clean, nice system for 3 gallon biab, holds temperature well because of
 “ double wall”  construction. Easy to adapt pre-existing recipes. Brew in garage with 110 outlet. Easily adapted with pumps and other DIY mods. Timer function to start heating mash water, 5 gallon batch size.
250.00 price tag

Cons
Mash temperatures are not precise ( although the temperature swings are not as severe as the digital read out suggests). Feels a little cheaply made. Not truly automatic.

Zymatic
Pros
Precise mashing, easy step mashing, truly automatic brewing, precise repeatability of recipes allowing easy tweaking of recipes, amazing customer support, substantial existing recipe data base, wi-fi connection to monitor brew, brewing in kegs, no chill brewing if desired. The company stands behind the product( even out of warranty). 2.5 batch size. (see cons).

Cons
Must connect to Pico “ mothership” to brew ( no off-line mode), many small parts to take apart to clean, frequent Fatal 1 errors that can force cancellation of brew, more work to adapt old recipes because of different hop utilization than typical systems,Pico has been very slow to up-grade brewing software, (a major flaw was never corrected for years despite frequent complaints from users and un-met promises from Pico.), plastic mash bin cracking and leaking ( this issue has been addressed in the new systym according to Pico)
2.5 batch size (see pros)
2000.00 price tag.

I’m sure I missed points, both pros and cons for both systems but I’ve used both extensively and have a good perspective on the systems gained from actual use.

I like both systems. If the Mash and Boil fails you could buy another for the price of a single repair for the Zymatic.

It needs to be noted that Pico has never charged me a cent for shipping, parts or labor, even when the Zymatic was out of warranty. I doubt this policy can last forever. Because the Zymatic is such complex machine it has many components that could possibly fail. Sometimes simple is better IMO.

When I see a large company such as GE experiencing it’s recent stock melt down it makes me worrry about Pico’s long term financial stability but I have no evidence that points to financial problems at Pico.

I have purchased the newest Zymatic now called the Z and I should take delivery in January.  I voted with my pocketbook! 
If the new Zymatic doesn’t recieve good reviews from people who are using it I might decide to cancel the order.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:44:49 am by banjo-guy »

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 04:59:05 pm »
I jumped in on the Beermkr, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433436998/beermkr-all-in-one-craft-beer-brewing-machine. If it works as promised, I feel like I'll be pretty happy with it. I'll use it as a bit of a pilot system, since I only brew 2.5gal batches now, and when I don't have time to do a traditional brew day.

Offline jalex

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 11:40:40 am »
As someone with very little brewing experience and a passion for the latest tech, I really want to start with one of these as well. Are there any others with experience with these machines? There's a bunch of new brewing machines out now, but im not sure that all of them are production ready, https://brewfuse.com/best-automated-brewing-systems/

I jumped in on the Beermkr, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433436998/beermkr-all-in-one-craft-beer-brewing-machine. If it works as promised, I feel like I'll be pretty happy with it. I'll use it as a bit of a pilot system, since I only brew 2.5gal batches now, and when I don't have time to do a traditional brew day.

This one looks great, but I just can't back one of these on Kickstarter. I'm afraid it will never see the light of day.

Right now I'm mostly interested in the Brewie. Pico seems to come out with too many variations of product rather than perfecting one.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 11:49:08 am »
IMO, keep away from the Brewie.  I've been followinhh it for several years and it has a record of failure and poor support.  A friend bought one and has spent more time repairing it than brewing on it.  Of the 6 brews he's done, only 2 have completed.

I think you fine short shrift to Picobrew.  Full disclosure...I am a user and endorser of their stuff.  But that's for a reason....they make solid equipment with great support.  The Z1 is a great unit.  I can't wait to take delivery of mine.Yes
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell