Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Fermentation  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Sergio Galvez

• 1st Kit
Stuck Fermentation
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:18:04 pm »
Hi guys,

I brewed a Blonde Ale (all grain) recently and I'm having issues with my fermentation. My OG was 1.040 and I was targeting my FG to be 1.008. Four days after active fermentation started, it stopped at 1.021. A week later and it's still 1.021. I used a 2L starter with 3 packs of White Lab 001 (California ale yeast) on a stir plate. Pitched at 68* and was fermenting at 70*. Am I missing a step here? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stuck Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »
Gotta be the recipe or process.  I'd just wait a while and see what happens, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:30 pm »
How are you measuring gravity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 12:56:08 pm »
Either your mash thermometer is messed up, or your gravity measurements, or your recipe.  Calibrate your tools, if using a refractometer then correct for alcohol content, and... post your recipe so we can see if that contributed, including mash temperatures and times.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Sergio Galvez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 02:05:10 pm »
Here is my 5-gallon recipe:

9 lb 2-Row
.5 lb Crystal 15
1oz Willamette
Whirlfloc (1 tablet)
Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (1 pill)

Strike water 162*
Mash 60 min at 153*
Boiled for 60 min

I use both a refractometer and hydrometer. I'm also using the Plaato airlock and all are the same readings.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:31 pm »
Recipe looks good.  Problem is either instrument error / failure to calibrate, or other operator error.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »
That's a lot of yeast.  With that recipe I would think you could get away with 1 pack and no starter.  At this point thinking all you can do is ramp up the temp a bit to see if encourages more fermentation or add more yeast...
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:14:59 am »
   If nothing else works you can always try a dry wine/champagne yeast like Lalvin EC1118, but that might take you down well below your 1.008 target.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:12:46 am »
I used a 2L starter with 3 packs of White Lab 001 (California ale yeast) on a stir plate.

It wouldn't cause a stuck fermentation, but that seems like a pretty inefficient use of yeast.  Considering maximum cell density is around 200 billion cells per liter, the most you would have ended up with is 400 billion cells (which isn't much growth considering you started with around 300 billion; unless the packs were really old or otherwise of low viability). 

Assuming you will grow around 100 billion cells per liter of starter wort, you could have gotten a similar cell count by pitching one pack into a 3 liter starter. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC