Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: high FG on sour but it tastes super dry  (Read 987 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
high FG on sour but it tastes super dry
« on: March 01, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »
I am shocked to see that my year old sour went from 1.051 to 1.012  yet it tastes about as dry as champagne and nice and sour, i bottled it anyway so im sure im gonna have some nice beer volcanos in a few weeks, a year old lambic should be at or under 1.005 right?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: high FG on sour but it tastes super dry
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:31 am »
I would have expected so, but perhaps the mash regimen was a bit high and the bugs couldn’t metabolize it fully?  Hard to say.  Was it a turbid mash?  Were the bacteria active(pellicle, etc...)?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: high FG on sour but it tastes super dry
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:32 am »
I would have expected so, but perhaps the mash regimen was a bit high and the bugs couldn’t metabolize it fully?  Hard to say.  Was it a turbid mash?  Were the bacteria active(pellicle, etc...)?

i did not turbid mash, i mashed @ 158F if i remember correctly, and i fermented with a clean ale(us05) yeast before adding the bugs if that makes a difference, i did not get one of those cool crazy powdery pellicles i got more of a skin with bubbles that would not pop, beer tastes good though, similar to cuvee renee , i was gonna add fruit but i kept it straight.
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle