Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodophor age  (Read 10399 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Iodophor age
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 02:03:54 pm »
I'll contact them and ask someone to drop by
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 01:55:02 pm »

Hey guys!  I'm here for any Q&A regarding our BTF Iodophor.  I am our Brewing Ambassador for the Craft Meister and BTF Iodophor products here at National Chemicals.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 02:01:45 pm »

Hey guys!  I'm here for any Q&A regarding our BTF Iodophor.  I am our Brewing Ambassador for the Craft Meister and BTF Iodophor products here at National Chemicals.

Thanks for dropping by, Jonathan!

I asked Jonathan to drop by to answer some questions.  I know him well, he's a great guy with great info, so let the questions fly!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 02:13:06 pm »
So the most basic question on this thread seems to be, how long will iodophor solution that has been made up retain its effectiveness if stored sealed up so that iodine won't evaporate (except into minimal head space?)  Does it degrade by some process other than evaporation of the iodine?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 02:33:51 pm »
And while we have you, I have another question.   Is full immersion of a piece of equipment in iodophor for two minutes necessary, or is the surfactant able to maintain sufficient contact over sufficient time to sanitize an item that is dipped or sprayed and allowed to drain? 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 02:51:43 pm »
So the most basic question on this thread seems to be, how long will iodophor solution that has been made up retain its effectiveness if stored sealed up so that iodine won't evaporate (except into minimal head space?)  Does it degrade by some process other than evaporation of the iodine?

The first thing to consider is that Iodine is naturally a gas, like other halogens such as Chlorine.  Their natural tendency is to be a gas.  Iodophor is made from an Iodine complex that creates a concentrated, liquid, soluble form of Iodine.

Basic usage info:

Always mix BTF Iodophor into cool or lukewarm water.  The hotter the water, the faster the Iodine will gas into the atmosphere.

Mix rate: 1/2 ounce concentrate per 5 gallons of water; 1/4 ounce concentrate per 2.5 gallons of water; 1 tsp per 1.5 gallons of water.

Allow 2 minutes of contact time, drain, air dry.  No rinsing is required.

Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.  In a completely air tight container, this shelf life is likely far greater, but it's pretty difficult to put an exact number on it for time.  There are things you can look for in solution color (amber vs. clear) and using Iodine test strips as a guide.  Personally, I mix a fresh solution in a small batch every time I have a brewery-related task, then discard and mix new when I'm doing something again.  It's cheap enough per use to do this.

Other things that will degrade the solution:

-Residual alkaline detergents.  The Iodine complex and the Iodophor concentrate are acidic solutions.  Mixing into any water that has residual alkaline detergent will neutralize the solution.  I've run into people that have had issues running Iodophor through plate/counterflow chillers where there was residual alkaline detergent remaining in the system and it neutralizes the Iodophor solution.

-Excessive agitation or shaking

-UV light, so leave your solution in a dark place

As far as the concentrated product itself, National Chemicals suggests a two year shelf life for storage.  However, we have run into situations where clients have turned in product over 10 years old and it passes QA tests.  For best results, buy smaller containers and try to go through the bottles in about 2 years - or brew more!
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 02:55:12 pm »
And while we have you, I have another question.   Is full immersion of a piece of equipment in iodophor for two minutes necessary, or is the surfactant able to maintain sufficient contact over sufficient time to sanitize an item that is dipped or sprayed and allowed to drain?

My typical procedure, say, for a carboy is to fill about 1-2 gallons of Iodophor solution into the carboy, swirl to contact everything for about 30 seconds, dump the solution, then place on a rack to drip dry.  The time spent drying contributes to the "wet time" contact.

Initially, the product was designed as a 3rd sink sanitizer for beer glasses.  BTF stands for Bartender's Friend.  In a 3rd sink, you would dunk the glass, immerse for up to 2 minutes, then place on a rack to dry.  You can treat your brewing gear and parts the same way as well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 02:55:31 pm »
I think you've mentioned to me before that protein contaminants will degrade mixed iodophor.....basically if you put stuff in that hasn't been cleaned first.  Am I remembering correctly?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:38 pm »
Is Craftmeister Oxygen Brewery Wash considered alkaline?

I didn’t notice if you addressed spraying an Iodophor solution onto a surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 03:07:54 pm »

They specifically make an alkaline wash so I'm pretty sure the oxygen isn't.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:25:27 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 03:22:49 pm »
I think you've mentioned to me before that protein contaminants will degrade mixed iodophor.....basically if you put stuff in that hasn't been cleaned first.  Am I remembering correctly?

Denny, you are correct.  Residual organic material does deactivate the solution, so always clean appropriately, rinse, then sanitize.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 03:26:22 pm »

Yes, Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash is alkaline in solution.  In addition to the sodium percarbonate (the oxygen release chemistry), we blend in sodium metasilicate, a non-caustic alkaline agent, into the powder.  The alkaline pH promotes the break down of proteins and organic materials.

Spraying an Iodophor solution for spot sanitizing is effective, just make completely sure you hit every surface you are sanitizing.  I've heard of cellar employees at breweries keeping spray bottles of Iodophor in a holster, ready for action!

Offline BrewBama

Iodophor age
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 03:46:29 pm »
Thank you for coming here to address questions. As you can see there are many. Here are a cpl more:

To purge a keg of oxygen, many homebrewers remove the oxygen from a keg by filling it completely with *liquid* then remove the *liquid* with CO2.  Finally we replace the CO2 with beer via “closed transfer”.  Can the *liquid* be Iodophor or is the air drying step you described above absolutely required?

Once a vessel is sanitized by soaking for 2 minutes and allowed to air dry [inverted], in a home brewery (aka my laundry room), how long would you conservatively expect the [inverted] vessel to be considered “sanitized”?  What factors would you suggest to increase this conservative estimation?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:07:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »
“Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.”

How should this ‘water’ be disposed of after the 12-24 hr off gassing?  I don’t dare pour an Iodophor solution down the drain lest it kill my biological balance in my septic system but can this ‘water’ be poured into a septic system?

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 04:36:55 pm »
“Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.”

How should this ‘water’ be disposed of after the 12-24 hr off gassing?  I don’t dare pour an Iodophor solution down the drain lest it kill my biological balance in my septic system but can this ‘water’ be poured into a septic system?

I don't have a septic system but this is an interesting point, as I believe I am not really allowed to dump this into the city sewer either (though I do, mildly worried how it may affect the water reclamation process downstream.)  Remember my mention above that Campden, SMB or PMB will reduce the iodine and turn the water instantly clear.  Would this be a viable solution for those with septic systems, and advisable for all of us who may be concerned about the effects or legality of discharging sanitizers?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio