Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodophor age  (Read 10426 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Iodophor age
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 05:37:50 am »

Other things that will degrade the solution:

-Residual alkaline detergents.  The Iodine complex and the Iodophor concentrate are acidic solutions.  Mixing into any water that has residual alkaline detergent will neutralize the solution.  I've run into people that have had issues running Iodophor through plate/counterflow chillers where there was residual alkaline detergent remaining in the system and it neutralizes the Iodophor solution.

Interesting. So if alkaline cleaners tend to neutralize iodophor solutions, it therefore suggests that highly alkaline water supplies might take a bit more of the concentrate than low alkalinity water such as rainwater, RO, or distilled? This also suggests that we can neutralize excess alkalinity in our water supply in order to make our iodophor solutions more effective.

If that's the case, the Water Acidification calculator in Bru'n Water does make it easier to figure out what a brewer's acid dose needs to be in order to neutralize most or all the water supply's alkalinity.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:59 am »
Is Craftmeister Oxygen Brewery Wash considered alkaline?

I didn’t notice if you addressed spraying an Iodophor solution onto a surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash is alkaline in solution.  In addition to the sodium percarbonate (the oxygen release chemistry), we blend in sodium metasilicate, a non-caustic alkaline agent, into the powder.  The alkaline pH promotes the break down of proteins and organic materials.

Spraying an Iodophor solution for spot sanitizing is effective, just make completely sure you hit every surface you are sanitizing.  I've heard of cellar employees at breweries keeping spray bottles of Iodophor in a holster, ready for action!

I stand corrected and will refrain from further speculation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 08:18:43 am »
“Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.”

How should this ‘water’ be disposed of after the 12-24 hr off gassing?  I don’t dare pour an Iodophor solution down the drain lest it kill my biological balance in my septic system but can this ‘water’ be poured into a septic system?

FWIW, I have been pouring mixed, active Iodophor (and StarSan) dow n the drain into myseptic system for many years without problem.  Considering that the amount I add is meant for 5 gal. And the septic system is hundreds of gal., the solution is so dilute thay it causes no problems.  Maybe your septic system is different.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:29 am »
“Typically the Iodine mixed into solution will gas back into the atmosphere in roughly 12-24 hours, turning back to clear water.”

How should this ‘water’ be disposed of after the 12-24 hr off gassing?  I don’t dare pour an Iodophor solution down the drain lest it kill my biological balance in my septic system but can this ‘water’ be poured into a septic system?

Same here. I've brewed 5 gal batches pretty much every 2 weeks for the past 16 years. I routinely mix up 2 gals of the sanitizer du jour (iodophor, saniclean/starsan) and at the end of the brew session pour it down the drain into my septic system. There have been no discernable negative effects as a result.

FWIW, I have been pouring mixed, active Iodophor (and StarSan) dow n the drain into myseptic system for many years without problem.  Considering that the amount I add is meant for 5 gal. And the septic system is hundreds of gal., the solution is so dilute thay it causes no problems.  Maybe your septic system is different.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:38 am »

No, mine is hundreds of gallons as well. I just hate to knowingly add a substance that could kill my bio balance. Now knowing it could simply be water after 24 hours I could simply add more Iodophor to the same bucket and not pour it down the drain at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:01 am »

No, mine is hundreds of gallons as well. I just hate to knowingly add a substance that could kill my bio balance. Now knowing it could simply be water after 24 hours I could simply add more Iodophor to the same bucket and not pour it down the drain at all.

It wouldn't be just water, it just wouldn't have iodine.  It would still contain the acids, surfactants and other ingredients that work with the iodine, so just adding more iodophor concentrate, I suspect,  would result in the wrong balance.  It's cheap, why not just dump it?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:41 am »
Good point. I use very little to make a solution

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 06:56:07 pm »

Valid concern, however, once it is clear water it’s just that - water.  The Iodine has returned to gas in the atmosphere and you are clear to dump that water into your septic.  The worst thing you could do is dump a bottle of Iodophor concentrate into your septic, that would be bad. 
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 07:01:25 pm »
Is Craftmeister Oxygen Brewery Wash considered alkaline?

I didn’t notice if you addressed spraying an Iodophor solution onto a surface.

Yes, Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash is alkaline in solution.  In addition to the sodium percarbonate (the oxygen release chemistry), we blend in sodium metasilicate, a non-caustic alkaline agent, into the powder.  The alkaline pH promotes the break down of proteins and organic materials.

Spraying an Iodophor solution for spot sanitizing is effective, just make completely sure you hit every surface you are sanitizing.  I've heard of cellar employees at breweries keeping spray bottles of Iodophor in a holster, ready for action!

I stand corrected and will refrain from further speculation.

It is confusing, a bit, on our part to have two types of cleaners.  Both the Oxygen and the Alkaline Brewery Wash have an alkaline pH in solution, the difference is the Oxygen wash has sodium percarbonate for the “oxi clean” effect and the Alkaline Wash doesn’t.  The advantage to the Alakline Wash is that without percarbonate, Alkaline Wash can be used in cold water, whereas hot water is required to dissolve and activate percarbonate.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

Offline Robert

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »

Valid concern, however, once it is clear water it’s just that - water.  The Iodine has returned to gas in the atmosphere and you are clear to dump that water into your septic.  The worst thing you could do is dump a bottle of Iodophor concentrate into your septic, that would be bad.

Valid concern, however, once it is clear water it’s just that - water.  The Iodine has returned to gas in the atmosphere

Really just water?  Surely there are other ingredients that remain?  These would affect any possible use of the water other than dumping it down the drain, right? 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 07:06:22 pm »

Other things that will degrade the solution:

-Residual alkaline detergents.  The Iodine complex and the Iodophor concentrate are acidic solutions.  Mixing into any water that has residual alkaline detergent will neutralize the solution.  I've run into people that have had issues running Iodophor through plate/counterflow chillers where there was residual alkaline detergent remaining in the system and it neutralizes the Iodophor solution.

Interesting. So if alkaline cleaners tend to neutralize iodophor solutions, it therefore suggests that highly alkaline water supplies might take a bit more of the concentrate than low alkalinity water such as rainwater, RO, or distilled? This also suggests that we can neutralize excess alkalinity in our water supply in order to make our iodophor solutions more effective.

If that's the case, the Water Acidification calculator in Bru'n Water does make it easier to figure out what a brewer's acid dose needs to be in order to neutralize most or all the water supply's alkalinity.

Marty, this is an excellent question.  I will dig into specific water pH thresholds where Iodophor solutions become difficult to maintain.  We did develop the product in Winona, MN, which has tremendously hard water right on the Mississippi River - however hardness and pH are slightly different discussions.  I recall a client that had municipal water coming out at a pH of 9 that had difficulty mixing Iodophor solutions.

With an RO system at home myself, I usually use my RO water for small batches of Iodophor solutions when I brew. 

I will run this up the chain to Dr. Landman, the developer of the product, for his input and post back with a more specific answer.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 07:09:59 pm »

Valid concern, however, once it is clear water it’s just that - water.  The Iodine has returned to gas in the atmosphere

Really just water?  Surely there are other ingredients that remain?  These would affect any possible use of the water other than dumping it down the drain, right?

For the purposes of disposing of spent solution, I would consider it just water (free of Iodine).  I wouldn’t personally use it for anything else other than dumping it down the drain.  This is why I make very small volumes of solution at a time - 1 tsp of concentrate for 1.5 gallons of water will do the trick for just about anything for home brewing related.

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 07:16:48 pm »

For the purposes of disposing of spent solution, I would consider it just water (free of Iodine).  I wouldn’t personally use it for anything else other than dumping it down the drain.  This is why I make very small volumes of solution at a time - 1 tsp of concentrate for 1.5 gallons of water will do the trick for just about anything for home brewing related.
Thanks for the clarification.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 07:09:52 am »

FWIW, I have been pouring mixed, active Iodophor (and StarSan) dow n the drain into my septic system for many years without problem.  Considering that the amount I add is meant for 5 gal. And the septic system is hundreds of gal., the solution is so dilute thay it causes no problems.  Maybe your septic system is different.

It wouldn't be just water, it just wouldn't have iodine.  It would still contain the acids, surfactants and other ingredients that work with the iodine, so just adding more iodophor concentrate, I suspect,  would result in the wrong balance.  It's cheap, why not just dump it?

Back when i first started brewing (back in the dark ages :D), I kept Iodophor in a closed keg before I knew all the particulars of the product.  When it turned clear, I just dumped some more concentrate into the keg.  The beers started tasting like crap using this method since I used that same keg for the batch of beer.  I stopped doing that and started making up a new solution every time I needed it since, as Rob said, it's cheap.  Problem solved.  I now use SaniClean for sanitizing because it doesn't foam and will keep for a month or two when mixed with R.O. water (I keep it in a Gott Cooler and check the pH of it every time I brew) (apologies to Craft Meister).

I also just dumped it down the drain to my septic system, along with other cleaning and sanitizing products and have not seen any adverse impact.

Thanks for all of the input from Craft Meister!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »
@ Jonathan - thanks for taking the time
@ Denny - thanks for finding Jonathan
Glad to get confirmation of what I once knew.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson