Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tafelbier style guidlines  (Read 1500 times)

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
Tafelbier style guidlines
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:25:21 am »
I recently had a tafelbier for the first time and would like to take a crack at brewing one.  I'd also like to enter it in some competitions but cant seem to find where it fits in ..I've seen it referred to as a Trappist single and as a Saison with the proviso under extra info that says table beer...it would seem to fit better under Saison..any help is greatly appreciated!! :D 😁😁😁😁

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Tafelbier style guidlines
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 11:30:44 am »
I'd say it's closer to a Belgian single, but remember..if it doesn't fit the guidelines very closely, there's no point in entering it.  If you can't decide where ii should go by reading the guidelines as you taste it, you'd be better off not entering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:12:00 pm »
Thanks, Denny...one judge I know here suggests entering it as an experimental beer...so, it will be a toss up between tha saison as a table beer or experimental...unless someone can come up a solid style suggestion... I'm already entered so, it's going in...or, I can just drink it...lol😁😁😁😁

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:54 am »
Thanks, Denny...one judge I know here suggests entering it as an experimental beer...so, it will be a toss up between tha saison as a table beer or experimental...unless someone can come up a solid style suggestion... I'm already entered so, it's going in...or, I can just drink it...lol😁😁😁😁

we can't taste the beer, so it's difficult to give accurate advice
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:18:04 am »
If it has a Saison yeast character, I would enter it as a Saison.  If it has a more general Belgian-esque yeast character, I would enter it as a Single.

What yeast did you use?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:11:21 am »
I brewed it with Lallemand Abbaye yeast but its a small batch and  quick ferment so I can rebrew it, if needed....I have Lallemand Belle Saison yeast on hand

Offline jorjon000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:38:01 am »
Would you share your recipe? I'm curious to try one also! And I have plenty of that yeast also....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »
When I think of a Tafelbier, I immediately think of Patersbier, which is a Trappist Single for competition purposes. The beer should pale with a noticeable noble hop character and Belgian yeast character.