Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unibrau  (Read 1736 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Unibrau
« on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:06 pm »
After literally years of contemplating setting up some sort of a RIMS/HERMS system, I finally bought a Unibrau v3 a few weeks ago. 

I'm pretty much running it stock, though I did add a sight glass from SS Brew Tech, and I'll be using my usual fabric filter bag.  Also, I don't plan on boiling in it but rather will pump over to my existing kettle.

I did a test run the other day with a few gallons of water, and everything seems to be working properly.  The Auber EZ Boil controller seems pretty straightforward once you mess around with it a bit and figure out the various menu options.

Planning to brew a Saison recipe I've brewed many times as the inaugural batch this Friday

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:12:19 pm by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Unibrau
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:58 pm »
That one looks nice.  I was thinking of it as a complement to my current 10 gallon arrangement to do 5 gallon batches in my kitchen when the weather is too harsh outside to brew in my garage (where my 220 is wired for the 10 gallon system).  Using it for mash only is an interesting thought.  Good luck and Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »
I finally had a chance to brew with the Unibrau last night.  I made a few mistakes and I need to reconfigure a few things, but I think I've got everything figured out for the next batch.  If you plan to use it as a mash tun only, you definitely need to fabricate a pick up tube.

This is the first time I've ever continually recirculated a mash, and the wort out of the tun was the clearest I've ever seen.

One gallon mark:

Three gallon mark:

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:25:38 am »
Third batch, and I'm about 95% there.  I just have one or two more things to dial in.  Is anyone else here brewing on one of these?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Unibrau
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:45:30 am »
Looks good!

I love the clear wort I get by constant recirculation.

With that small pump there should be no way to compact the grain bed resulting in a stuck sparge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk