Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: auto siphon hose getting sticky after sitting too long in starsan?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
I know everyone has only Game of Thrones on their mind, BUT if you can drag yourself away from that topic and answer a beer-related question:

Id read somewhere that plastics left too long in starsan solution are degraded.  I get a sticky feeling on my hands after handling plastics left overnight in some starsan solution;  my auto siphon hose is a particular culprit.  Not sure if I should reuse that hose or not....siphon assembly itself seems and feels fine.

Its just the hose that came with the auto siphon, and no idea if it was food-grade or not but I wonder if food-grade hose would handle the San better?  ANyone have experience in this? 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: auto siphon hose getting sticky after sitting too long in starsan?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:38:50 pm »
I thought the sticky feeling is caused by a coating deposited by Starsan, not degradation.  I use both silicone and PVC food grade hoses.  They all get that sticky feeling if left long enough in the Starsan.

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:48:14 pm »
I thought the sticky feeling is caused by a coating deposited by Starsan, not degradation.  I use both silicone and PVC food grade hoses.  They all get that sticky feeling if left long enough in the Starsan.

Oh, I could definitely be using the wrong word to describe the sticky feeling, it may not be degradation.  I cant remember exactly.  So you continue to use your hoses without any worries?  Good enough for me. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:31:26 pm »

Oh, I could definitely be using the wrong word to describe the sticky feeling, it may not be degradation.  I cant remember exactly.  So you continue to use your hoses without any worries?  Good enough for me.

Yeah, I get that sometimes, but after a rinse they're fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:36:55 pm »
Star San seems to me to get stickier and stickier with time.  I mix it with distilled or RO water, keep it closed up, and keep it for a long time,  and it stays clear, pH remains unchanged, and (so we are assured) effectiveness remains unchanged.  But the stickiness, and I think aroma, increase.   I assume it's something to do with the surfactant carriers.  Like Denny,  I just rinse it off.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:44:53 pm »

Yeah, I get that sometimes, but after a rinse they're fine.

See , I shouldve mentioned that - I cant get the stickiness off. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:13:39 pm »
Tubing is cheap.  I suppose I'd replace it if in doubt.  If you can find a reference on Star San degrading plastic that would be interesting.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to point out that this is just one more reason iodophor should be the sanitizer of choice,  with Star San best used as a quick acid rinse after alkaline cleaners and as a spray bottle sanitizer of last resort.   There, I feel better now.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:25:23 pm »
Tubing is cheap.  I suppose I'd replace it if in doubt.  If you can find a reference on Star San degrading plastic that would be interesting.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to point out that this is just one more reason iodophor should be the sanitizer of choice,  with Star San best used as a quick acid rinse after alkaline cleaners and as a spray bottle sanitizer of last resort.   There, I feel better now.

Yeah, I've gone back to Iodophor as my main sanitizer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
If you can find a reference on Star San degrading plastic that would be interesting.

The tech sheet says:

"It is not recommended to use STAR SAN HB on soft metals because of the acid nature of
this product."

https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-San-HB4.pdf

Not exactly on point but fairly close...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 03:11:37 pm »

Me, too.  I buy it in the gallon size.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »

Me, too.  I buy it in the gallon size.
I buy it buy the gallon too.  It's dirt cheap, but, conveniently, the gallon costs just enough to get free shipping from MoreBeer!  :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio