Author Topic: your favorite commercial Pilsner  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
Re: your favorite commercial Pilsner
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
While its not my favorite Pils of all time, Northcoast Scrimshaw has been tasting pretty nice lately. They've apparently made improvements in their recipe or production methods.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »

Bit is a guaranteed fresh Pils in a can no less. I get fresh 4 packs all day where I’m at.

I envy you for your distributor,  sir.

Really?  I buy 4 packs at Trader Joe's and they're always great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 07:51:35 PM »

Bit is a guaranteed fresh Pils in a can no less. I get fresh 4 packs all day where I’m at.

I envy you for your distributor,  sir.

Really?  I buy 4 packs at Trader Joe's and they're always great.
Just looked at a 4 pack of Bitburger in my regular, trusted supermarket today, it was packaged just shy of 6 months ago.   One problem I think I've detected with imported beers, is distributors apparently getting one big fresh shipment, warehousing it, and doling it out to their accounts over the course of a year.  This makes no business sense to me, having stock that's not out in trade, unless warehouse space costs you virtually  nothing and offsets some cost associated  with multiple individual shipments.  If warehouse space costs nothing,  it probably isn't climate controlled either.  Which I'd buy, since even  seasonals like Oktoberfest from the distributor(s) in question arrive in pretty bad shape. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MattyAHA

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
i just picked up some super fresh prima and i think its brewed to style, idk what would make this "out of style" its hoppy, its clean, grainy pilsner malts,  but as we all know when we get imported G pils they are alot of times stale but if you drank the same beer in germany the hops would be alot more assertive and much more pronounced flavors anyway drunkn ramble, prima seems to fit the style in my mind
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • View Profile
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
Of course this is the moment when my brain goes "Damn.. I had a really good Bo Pils recently, but what was it?"

I'll second the pFriem as a really good one, albeit very local to PacNW.

I've had Pilsner Urquell a couple of times and it can be hit or miss. As mentioned, based on freshness.  Urquell also has a very distinct "off flavor" (one of the ones that is OK is certain styles but bad in others) that I am blanking on right now.. light diaceytl or maybe light DMS? It's often used in tasting classes as an example of that off flavor.  Even when it's "allowed" in certain styles it's hard to turn that away from being "bad" in your brain.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 01:18:26 PM »
^^^^
Urquell can indeed present light diacetyl.   Back before they "modernized" around 1990, the old beer had a quite prominent diacetyl note.  Lots of HSO in open grants and surface coolers and a cold fermentation with an S. cerevisiae strain will get you that!  (I suspect it is now more effectively reduced in the conicals.)  It probably should make us rethink what qualities and processes are "appropriate" to a true to style lager.  You can't get much more lagery than Urquell, and it's just not as Urquelly as it was.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
Of course this is the moment when my brain goes "Damn.. I had a really good Bo Pils recently, but what was it?"

I've had Pilsner Urquell a couple of times and it can be hit or miss. As mentioned, based on freshness.  Urquell also has a very distinct "off flavor" (one of the ones that is OK is certain styles but bad in others) that I am blanking on right now.. light diaceytl or maybe light DMS? It's often used in tasting classes as an example of that off flavor.  Even when it's "allowed" in certain styles it's hard to turn that away from being "bad" in your brain.

My equivalent is the clove phenolic. OK in some styles, but yuck. My palate.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • View Profile
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »

I really love that clove phenol. Wienstephaner Hefe is a massive clove bomb and I really like it. I also really love the bubblegum/banana ester in Belgian beers (often presented with clove also) but if you get those flavors in anything other than a Belgian style or a German Wheat (Hefe mostly) then something went terribly wrong (wild yeast most likely or pitched wrong strain).  Those flavors in an IPA would clash horribly and in something light like a Kolsch or Pils would likely be overpowering.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

I really love that clove phenol. Wienstephaner Hefe is a massive clove bomb and I really like it. I also really love the bubblegum/banana ester in Belgian beers (often presented with clove also) but if you get those flavors in anything other than a Belgian style or a German Wheat (Hefe mostly) then something went terribly wrong (wild yeast most likely or pitched wrong strain).  Those flavors in an IPA would clash horribly and in something light like a Kolsch or Pils would likely be overpowering.
I recall, a number of years ago, being able to get the pale 12° lager from the Žateč (Saaz) brewery.  (I presume this is an example of type Saaz lager yeast?)   Very distinct banana ester.  Again, we may try too hard to pigeonhole styles.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »

I don't mind a little diacetyl in some styles. Others hate it.

If you want clove in a Kölsch, try Pfaffen in Köln.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:04:28 PM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National

Offline Bilsch

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 05:32:45 AM »
I don't mind a little diacetylmorphine in some styles. Others hate it.
If you want clove in a Place, try Pfaffen in Kiln.

Now who wouldn't like a little heroin in their beer?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:35:52 AM by Bilsch »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »
I don't mind a little diacetylmorphine in some styles. Others hate it.
If you want clove in a Place, try Pfaffen in Kiln.

Now who wouldn't like a little heroin in their beer?

My new phone didn't know diacetyl, but knew the other compound.  Damn, fixed that, and the others.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National

Offline reverseapachemaster

• View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 04:40:19 PM »
Prost here in Denver makes a good pils. A lot of people rave about Bierstadt's as well but I'm not as much of a fan. Weldwerks also puts out a surprisingly good pils despite being known for their pastry stouts and hazy IPAs.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Fresh Pilsner Urquell. Fresh Bitt is a close second, with Yuengling Golden Pils at Third.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:46 PM »
Fresh Pilsner Urquell is the finest beer on the planet.