Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you chill your priming sugar solution? Does it matter?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline trubgerg

• 1st Kit
Do you chill your priming sugar solution? Does it matter?
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
For all who bottle condition their beers, do you think there's any value to chilling the priming sugar solution before exposing it to the fermented beer?

After I boil the priming sugar solution I dump it into my sanitized bottling bucket and typically siphon my batch of beer into it within a couple of minutes.  My assumption is that some of the remaining yeast cells will be killed, but not nearly enough to have any noticeable effect on the beer in regards to carbonation considering it's about 1 cup of hot priming sugar solution vs. 5 gallons of beer. 

Could there be any adverse effects on flavor or haze?  Am I putting too much thought into this?
Greg Burt - Candidate for AHA Governing Committee 2020

~Homebrewer Since 2010~
~AHA Member Since 2015~

Homebrew Timer - an app for iOS devices

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Do you chill your priming sugar solution? Does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:51:11 pm »
When I used to bottle condition,  I did pretty  much what you do.   I figured time was of the essence,  I didn't want the syrup I'd just effectively sterilized sitting around.   As for the yeast, the syrup cools down pretty far just being spread out on the bottom of the bucket.  And the yeast can survive temperatures up to about 115°F.  So I doubt you have any casualties at all.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:20:14 pm »
When I use sugar priming, I simply open a 20oz bottle of water, pour off about 4 oz, add the sugar via funnel, shake the bageezees out of it until the sugar is dissolved and add that to the beer. I never boil the water in the bottle. 

Incidentally, when I hydrate dry yeast I do the same thing: add it to bottled water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 06:29:23 am »
When I used to bottle condition,  I did pretty  much what you do.   I figured time was of the essence,  I didn't want the syrup I'd just effectively sterilized sitting around.   As for the yeast, the syrup cools down pretty far just being spread out on the bottom of the bucket.  And the yeast can survive temperatures up to about 115°F.  So I doubt you have any casualties at all.

+1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:46:20 am »
I let it cool a little on the stove.. basically when it's warm to the touch but I can hold my hand on the pan for a little bit.  I usually start the siphon and then pour the sugar syrup in once there's a little bit of beer in the bottom. I figure that helps dissipate the heat as well as stir up the sugar in the beer.

I wouldn't want to stick it in the fridge to cool or let it sit overnight etc because at that point I would assume it was no longer sterile.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:50 am »
I don't cool it and it doesn't matter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:00:03 pm »
I have never chilled the priming sugar/water. 

I've always assumed the volume difference between the cup or cup and a half of hot liquid was no match for the cold bucket/keg and 5 gallons of cool to cold beer.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:46 am »
I don't cool it and it doesn't matter.

This ^^^^^^^