Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I think I have to have this....  (Read 5693 times)

Big Monk

Re: I think I have to have this....
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 11:45:21 am »
Yes, but the point now is that we seem to have some differences on what those optima are.  The conventional wisdom around here is that pH should be somewhat lower (at room temperature of course) than the preponderance of the literature indicates.   And my experience is beginning to align with this.   Optimal room temperature pH 5.5-5.6, rather than 5.2-5.4.

I do all beers at 5.4, at room temp.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I think I have to have this....
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:09 am »
Yeah, I’m confused — especially when reading past articles like this: https://byo.com/mr-wizard/setting-record-straight-mash-ph/

Bamforth’s range is: 5.3 to 5.8 (mashtemp) / 5.55 to 6.05 (room temp)

Briggs’ range is: 5.2 to 5.4 (mash temp) / 5.45 to 5.65 (room temp)

Kunze’s range is: 5.25 to 5.35 (mash temp) / 5.5 to 5.6 (room temp)

Lewis’ statement: 5.2 to 5.5 (mash temp) / 5.45 to 5.75 (room temp)

I guess my point is I should be looking for ~5.6 at room temp to feel pretty good that my enzymes are being comfortably cared for at ~5.3 (mash temp).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pH optima and targets are for room temp samples.

I thought this topic was put to bed? Obviously the variance in literature doesn’t help here but your target values should be measured at room temp.

Here’s another reference contradiction that room temp should be 5.2 (slide 18): 5.5-5.6 @ 68*F:

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/wp-content/uploads/ImprovingBrewhouseEfficiency-Havig.pdf

Incidentally, it also contradicts BeerSmith (and others) Brewhouse Efficiency calculations.

Offline Robert

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 07:21:31 am »

Yeah, I’m confused — especially when reading past articles like this: https://byo.com/mr-wizard/setting-record-straight-mash-ph/

Bamforth’s range is: 5.3 to 5.8 (mashtemp) / 5.55 to 6.05 (room temp)

Briggs’ range is: 5.2 to 5.4 (mash temp) / 5.45 to 5.65 (room temp)

Kunze’s range is: 5.25 to 5.35 (mash temp) / 5.5 to 5.6 (room temp)

Lewis’ statement: 5.2 to 5.5 (mash temp) / 5.45 to 5.75 (room temp)

I guess my point is I should be looking for ~5.6 at room temp to feel pretty good that my enzymes are being comfortably cared for at ~5.3 (mash temp).

pH optima and targets are for room temp samples.

I thought this topic was put to bed? Obviously the variance in literature doesn’t help here but your target values should be measured at room temp.

Here’s another reference contradiction that room temp should be 5.2 (slide 18): 5.5-5.6 @ 68*F:

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/wp-content/uploads/ImprovingBrewhouseEfficiency-Havig.pdf

Incidentally, it also contradicts BeerSmith (and others) Brewhouse Efficiency calculations.

You just like that presentation because it mentions Darcy's Law.   ;)

As far as BS and many of the other homebrew efficiency calculations I see around here, I haven't been able to make heads or tails of them.  No idea what they think they're doing.  Standard definition in all the textbooks is very simple:  brewhouse efficiency = brewhouse yield/ CGAI.  As in the presentation I think, but they express it in an unnecessarily complicated way. (Which also makes me wonder how they're getting such low yields in a commercial setting, as my own brewhouse efficiency runs about 96%?  Kunze says BE should be within 1% of 100%, but that's on industrial equipment.)

BrewBama, have you started targeting the (also seemingly universal in the professional literature) pH of 5.5-5.6 room temperature,  5.3 mash temperature?   If so, has it made any appreciable difference?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

I think I have to have this....
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 08:25:24 am »
Ok ...you caught me. LOL

My last brew, an all Mecca Grade malt Export style, came in at 5.5 pH @ 20 min into the mash @ 68*F. Depending on which correction factor is applied (.2-.35) I figure I am within tolerance.

I started at 1.056 and I’m at 1.011 now using Imperial Harvest. The pH is 4.3. @72.5*F.

Edit: my efficiency was 89.5%. (Calculated by BS which calls this “mash efficiency”)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:35:36 am by BrewBama »

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 04:49:03 pm »
Titanium??? .........

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk