Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Wheat Water Profile  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
American Wheat Water Profile
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:21 pm »
Trying to use my filtered tap water for brewing. I am done with buying RO water and taking my new/old water profile on as a challenge. Brewing an American wheat ale, and low mineral water is not an option so I am at least trying to balance out the sulfate/chloride ratios. Here is the water profile with additions. pH of mash is 5.46, and my understanding is that the 5 lbs of white wheat is acidic and should take it down further. Will this turn out?
5.5 gal
Wheat:  5 lbs
2 Row:   3 lbs
Pilsner:  2 lbs

IBU's:    20

Cal:       74
Mag:      11
Sodium: 48
Sulfate:  105
Chloride: 56
Bicarb:   -12
Lactic:     6 mL / pH 5.46

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:09:15 pm by Pope of Dope »
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: American Wheat Water Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »
Wheat is acidic? Not in my experience.

That profile should be sort of OK, but I would target a lower sulfate content unless that beer is intended to be a hoppy one.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:40:51 am »

That profile should be sort of OK, but I would target a lower sulfate content unless that beer is intended to be a hoppy one.

I can lower the pH and sulfate content. I was under the impression that by adding sulfate I could give myself a more balanced ratio of sulfate to chloride, which I thought was more important than content. If I leave things alone I could get a water profile of pretty even chloride to sulfate, something like: sulfate 48ppm/chloride 56ppm. I also could bump up the sulfate to be even with chloride. 
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:07:21 am »

I can lower the pH and sulfate content. I was under the impression that by adding sulfate I could give myself a more balanced ratio of sulfate to chloride, which I thought was more important than content. If I leave things alone I could get a water profile of pretty even chloride to sulfate, something like: sulfate 48ppm/chloride 56ppm. I also could bump up the sulfate to be even with chloride.

IMO, forget ratios....they're a canard.  Concentrate on numbers, not ratios.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell