Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Grain Mash Brewing Fermentation Issue  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Dennis Baluh

• 1st Kit
All Grain Mash Brewing Fermentation Issue
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:44:40 am »
I've attempted our 2nd try at all grain brewing. I'm very concerned about the lack of bubbles in the fermenter airlock tube, after almost a week. We have a good 5+ gallons in the primary, and used (1) one Whie Labs WLP013 yeast as required. This 2nd one is an Irish Red recipe, and our 1st attempt at this did the same thing, with a different all grain recipe. I've agitated and shaken the primary daily. Am I being impatient? Should I add another yeast? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: All Grain Mash Brewing Fermentation Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:56:46 am »
Bubbles don't really tell you anything.  What's the gravity?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
All Grain Mash Brewing Fermentation Issue
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:13 am »
Can you see krausen or other signs of activity?  ”almost a week” in — it might be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:06:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline Mr SOnSO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 01:12:09 pm »
+1
I brew 10 gallon batches and ferment in 2 carboys. On a recent batch, using the same yeast strain, one fermentor's airlock was bubbling pretty steady while the other didn't bubble at all. I swapped airlocks and the one that wasn't bubbling started to bubble and the other didn't move. The one that did bubble had just slightly less liquid in the airlock than the other. Gravity was the same on both fermentors.
Bubbling definitely means yeast activity, but no bubbles means nothing. 

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »
You especially can't count on bubbles if your fermenter is a bucket.  Those lids don't seal  tight, and the gas will find it easier to get out that way than through your airlock.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:28:58 pm »
Your concern is unwarranted. After a week, fermentation is likely complete. It won't hurt anything to leave it longer and may help the final product. But just leave it alone. No need to shake, rattle or roll. Yeast already know what to do.

You said that the 1st batch did the same thing.... How did that turn out? It ultimately had fermented didn't it?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Offline Dennis Baluh

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 03:28:04 pm »
I guess I should say, whew - gravity to start was 1.046 and tested today is 1.012, both at 70 degrees. All good??

Offline Mr SOnSO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »
I guess I should say, whew - gravity to start was 1.046 and tested today is 1.012, both at 70 degrees. All good??
Sounds like you're good for that yeast strain. Also, I just read your OP where you mentioned shaking the primary daily. You don't want to do that. Adding oxygen to fermenting beer will cause staling and off flavors.