Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Milling Rye Malt  (Read 11020 times)

Offline gferlin

• 1st Kit
Milling Rye Malt
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:21 am »
I brewed a Rye IPA over the weekend. My 1st time brewing with rye malt. The grains were smaller and more flexible than barley (maybe due to lack of husk?) and many did not crack open.

Is it necessary to mill rye?  If so, what are some methods used to get all or the majority of the grain to crack.  I thought about zapping it in my food processor or adjusting the mill gap smaller and running only the rye through it.

Gregg
New Lenox, IL

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Milling Rye Malt
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:20:35 am »
If they were not cracking open you probably just need to tighten the mill gap until you acieve the proper crush.  What is your current mill gap setting?
Ron Price

Offline gferlin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:06 am »
The gap is set at .045" and produces an excellent crush on barley malt.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:56 am »
Adjust the mill gap setting to .030" for rye malt.  If the grains are really small then adjust accordingly.
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54:12 am »
I leave the Barley Crusher gap @ ~.035 for barley, wheat & rye.  I always mill wheat & rye first and mill it twice before milling the barley. Seems to work okay.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:34 am »
I have the gap on my JSP adjustable set about as small as it will go.  I can just mix barley, rye, wheat, whatever and mill them all together.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:00 am »
My mill is set at .035 and I just run the Rye through by itself and then add the milled Rye to the rest of the grist and mill it.  That way, the Rye gets milled twice.  I've got my mill gap nice a dialed in and don't really want to mess with changing/resetting it.
Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:15 am »
I leave the Barley Crusher gap @ ~.035 for barley, wheat & rye.  I always mill wheat & rye first and mill it twice before milling the barley. Seems to work okay.

I brewed a rye pale with 2lbs of rye last weekend.  I did the same thing and ran the rye through twice, seemed to crush it just fine.  My gap is a barley crusher at factory setting which is .039 or something like that.
Jesse

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Yeah tighten the gap.  I always mill rye first, by itself, then add it back to my barely when it goes through the crusher.

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »
I have a BC @ .039 and am about to use rye for the first time. I'm glad I found this thread.

beveragebob

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
I have a Valley Mill and have it set so tight sometimes it jams....Worked just fine putting 2lbs of rye malt through last week. Yes I crush till I'm scared! :D