Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reusing vinyl tubing  (Read 1576 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Reusing vinyl tubing
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:27:57 am »
I always use a new 3 foot piece of vinyl tubing when I transfwr chilled wort to the fermenter. 

Am I the only one who uses new tubing? I get sketched on cleaning hose and reusing.  What do you all do?

I have started recirculating my hot wort with my  immersion chiller using a copper, hang over the top, diy recirc arm.  I will use that to transfer since I imagine it is sanitized after recirculating hot wort for 10 minutes minimum.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Reusing vinyl tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:02:30 pm »
Ive used the same hose for 15 years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »
I rinse tubing inside and out with hot tap water and hang to dry. When using the next time it gets sanitized first. Never had a problem. I do replace it on occasion, but not very often. Maybe once every year or 2 on average.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:53:11 pm »
Yeah, I'd say I've got about 10 years on my current vinyl tubing. Good sanitation practices will keep that product usable for quite a long time.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:59:32 pm »
I change my draught line tubing regularly,  but all the other stuff only when it gets so stained with iodophor that I can't see if it's clean or not.  So rarely.  I'm like Bob.  Hot water rinse right away, drip dry, and sanitize before next use.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:55 pm »
I've managed to use my beverage lines for quite a long time too. However, I do use some extreme cleaning procedures to keep them contamination-free. A nice warm lye solution soak does an amazing job at ridding any sort of deposits in the tubing. Do recognize that using a lye solution is SUPER dangerous and requires protective equipment and care.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 01:08:10 pm »
I've managed to use my beverage lines for quite a long time too. However, I do use some extreme cleaning procedures to keep them contamination-free. A nice warm lye solution soak does an amazing job at ridding any sort of deposits in the tubing. Do recognize that using a lye solution is SUPER dangerous and requires protective equipment and care.
I figure buying a few feet of draught line tubing every couple of years beats the emergency room fees when I mess up the lye thing.  ;D

(I do clean my system every 2 weeks with alkaline cleaner, and quarterly with acid as well, per the recommendations in the DBQM.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:11:50 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 01:20:15 pm »
Dang!  15 years for the same hosing? Are you pulling my leg?

Btw I never toss it. I usually use it for cleaning fish tanks or stealing my neighbor's gas. I will change my practice.

1. Hot water rinse immediately
2. Starsan before next use. 

Maybe a pbw soak? 

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:27:43 pm »

Maybe a pbw soak?

If you think it needs it.  If you rinse well right away, it'll probably stay clean.  If you can't rinse right  away and it gets gunk dried up in it in it, PBW will take care of it. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 06:15:03 am »
I recently replaced my vinyl tube that serves the fermenter after 4 years and about 50 brews.  It was beginning to turn a yellowish color and for a dollar, I figured it’s time to replace.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 07:05:57 am »
Let me tell you the other reason I’m not keen on bringing new vinyl tubing into my brewery. Vinyl does contain volatile compounds that take a while to leach from the tubing. I try to help that process by pre-boiling new tubing to help get the compounds out. Keeping ‘well-seasoned’ and relatively volatile-free tubing in my system makes sense to me.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 07:36:26 am »
Let me tell you the other reason I’m not keen on bringing new vinyl tubing into my brewery. Vinyl does contain volatile compounds that take a while to leach from the tubing. I try to help that process by pre-boiling new tubing to help get the compounds out. Keeping ‘well-seasoned’ and relatively volatile-free tubing in my system makes sense to me.
On that note, I only buy my vinyl tubing from LHBS now.  There are different compositions.  The tubing I find at my hardware store lately (not in the past) has a powerful smell, the LHBS stuff doesn't.   It may contain some of the same volatiles Martin mentions, but obviously at lower levels at least.  Hasn't been a problem even if not preboiled Martin-style.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio