Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on stout recipe  (Read 1206 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Thoughts on stout recipe
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
In a few weeks a friend and I are going to brew a stout.  If you've ever had a big heavy stout that tastes like a chocolate milkshake, that's pretty much what we're shooting for.  It's going to be a 10 gallon batch.

Here's the grain going in to the mash:

Golden Promise - 28 lb (75.7%)
Crystal Malt 60L - 3 lb (8.1%)
CARAFA I - 1.5 lb (4.1%)
Pale Chocolate Malt - 2.5 lb (6.8%)
Flaked Oats - 2 lb (5.4%)

I'm planning for a 75 min. mash at 154°.

I'm also going to cold steep 1 lb of roasted barley.  Then add the liquid along with 3 lb of lactose at the end of the boil.

The planned hop schedule is only 2 oz of magnum at 60 min.  Although I'm thinking a little more might be a good idea.  Yeast will be WLP004.  We're shooting for an OG around 1.100 - 1.105.  And a FG of 1.030 - 1.035.

Appreciate any ideas or concerns.  Cheers!

Offline Chowyunfood

• 1st Kit
Re: Thoughts on stout recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:57 am »
I always add 1 lb of lactose and 8 oz maltodextrin at the end of the boil.( 5 gallon batch) I do this simply because my grandpa said so. My stouts are velvety but,I always toss in a pound of flaked oats for good measure.

Offline Chowyunfood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:45 am »
Upon further review, I see your flaked oats...

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:50:21 pm »
That will be tasty, but...... decrease lactose to 2 pounds which is plenty (for 10 gallons).  3 pounds and I fear your FG will be closer to 1.050.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:54 pm »
I agree that 3 lbs of lactose is a lot, too much for my palate (and digestive system), but if you're going for big and heavy and chocolate milkshakey...3 lbs it is. Perhaps some cocoa nibs if you're going for some real chocolate flavor?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:53 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Backing the lactose off may be a good idea.  Maybe I'll take it down to 2.25 lb.

And thanks for bringing up cocoa nibs RC.  I forgot to mention the secondary.  I'm going to let the taste be the determining factor, but keeping the option open for aging on cocoa nibs and possibly a vanilla bean or two.