Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not Your Daddy's Natty  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Not Your Daddy's Natty
« on: January 30, 2021, 08:55:00 am »
National Bohemian (a.k.a. Natty Boh) is ubiquitous to native Marylanders. The brand has changed hands many times and is currently owned by Pabst; however, the Mr. Boh logo lives on in Maryland. What is interesting is that most Marylanders are unaware of why the word "Bohemian" appears in the name. It was basically the National Brewing Company's attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Bohemian-style beer, the original of which is Pilsner Urquell (PU).  While not a direct replica of PU, this bigger take on the beer offers a single infusion mash alternative.  CaraHelle malt is used to give the beer the approximate color and caramel sweetness that is the result of a triple-decoction mash.  Not Your Daddy's Natty was the first beer I brewed in my latest brew house.  I originally miscalculated the final volume.  I thought that I had 5.75 gallons at the end of boil, but remeasuring the volume bumped it up to 6 gallons, which is an extraction rate of 29 PPG (an efficiency of 78% with losses set to zero if you are using brewing software).  That is a solid extraction rate, but one that most brewers can obtain after dialing in their brew houses.  I am hoping to bump my extraction rate up to 30 or 31 PPG with 90+ percent base malt recipes after I get my new brew house dialed in.

Not Your Daddy’s Natty

Style: Bohemian Pilsnerish

Grist:

11lbs (5kg) Avangard Pils (91.7%)
1lb  (450g) Weyermann Carahell 8L (8.3%)

Hopping Schedule:

1oz (28g) Hops Direct Czech Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (90 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Czech Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (60 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Czech Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (30 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Czech Saaz Pellets  3.5% AA (15 minute boil)

Strike Liquor:  4 U.S. gallons (15L) @ 170F (untreated, charcoal filtered)

Sparge Liquor: 4.75 U.S. gallons (18L) @ 168F (untreated, charcoal filtered)

Mash: Single Infusion @ 149  for 60 minutes

Yeast: Fermentis W-34/70 (two 11g packages pitched @ 61F/16C before cooling the wort to 53F/12C over a period of 6 hours)

Original Gravity: 1.058 for 6 gallons (approximately 23L)

Notes:  My water supply is very soft compared to most public water supplies in the United States (66ppm TDS after charcoal filtering).  One may have to use RO water and adjust.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:13:15 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Not Your Daddy's Natty
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 10:16:19 am »
National Bohemian (a.k.a. Natty Boh) is ubiquitous to native Marylanders.  The brand has changed hands many times and is currently owned by Pabst.  However, the Mr. Boh logo lives on in Maryland.   What is interesting is that most Marylanders are unaware of why the word "Bohemian" appears in the name. It was basically the National Brewing Company's attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Bohemian-style beer, the original of which is Pilsner Urquell (PU).  While not a direct replica of PU, this bigger take on the beer offers a single infusion mash alternative.  CaraHelle malt is used to give the beer the approximate color and caramel sweetness that is the result of a triple-decoction mash.  Not Your Daddy's Natty was the first beer I brewed in my new brew house.  I originally miscalculated the final volume.  I thought that I had 5.75 gallons at the end of boil, but remeasuring the volume bumped it up to 6 gallons, which is an extraction rate of 29ppg (an efficiency of 78% with losses set to zero if you are using brewing software).  That is a solid extraction rate, but one that most brewers can obtain after dialing in their brew houses.  I am hoping to bump my extraction rate up to 30 or 31ppg with 90+ percent base malt recipes after I get my new brew house dialed in.

Not Your Daddy’s Natty

Style: Bohemian Pilsnerish

Grist:

11lbs (5kg) Avangard Pils (91.7%)
1lb  (450g) Weyermann Carahell 8L (8.3%)

Hopping Schedule:

1oz (28.35g) Hops Direct Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (90 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (60 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Saaz Pellets 3.5% AA  (30 minute boil)
1oz (28g) Hops Direct Saaz Pellets  3.5% AA (15 minute boil)

Strike Liquor:  4 U.S. gallons (15L) @ 170F (untreated, charcoal filtered)

Sparge Liquor: 4.75 U.S. gallons (18L) @ 168F (untreated, charcoal filtered)

Mash: Single Infusion @ 149  for 60 minutes

Yeast: Fermentis W-34/70 (two 11g packages pitched @ 61F/16C before cooling the wort to 53F/12C over a period of 6 hours)

Original Gravity: 1.058 for 6 gallons (approximately 23L)

Notes:  My water supply is very soft (66ppm TDS after charcoal filtering) compared to most public water supplies in the United States  One may have to use RO water and adjust.
Sounds delicious.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:21:05 pm »
A beer that will not be able to hide any flaws. I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:59:25 pm »
It is a pretty big beer that is being fermented in a closed fermentation vessel in a room that hovers between 39 and 42F (my garage), so I am not worried.  I am using an Immersion Pro, but it has mostly been operating in heating mode.  It is weird how the fan on Immersion Pro runs when it is heating.  It should not run because if the ambient air is cooler than the fermentation temperature, there is a very high probability that it is operating in a low humidity environment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:04:03 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:49:01 pm »
i hovered over replying to this, but i will now.

making basically this recipe except with Breiss DME - Pilsen Light, All EKG hops (200g in total) and S189. og much less tho at about 1.046

I just wanted to have a bunch of "beer" beer. i cut down this recipe to a 20 min boil to reach ~33 IBU. total brewday time should be 90 mins. trying to make a high-production beer that tastes good too.