Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Volcano  (Read 901 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Volcano
« on: March 10, 2021, 05:54:17 pm »
I got a chuckle out of this. Understatement of the year.

https://youtu.be/DrLAewakMcA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Volcano
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:00 pm »
I once had a gusher on a 50 gallon wooden barrel. Actually there were two 50 gallon wooden barrels and both had gushers. I'm not exaggerating when I say the volcano went 25-30 feet in the air.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »
“My wife is not going to be happy about that” narrated in a very monotone delivery at the end was great.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 04:58:35 am »
 :D
I love one of the comments below the video:
“He got all the brewing equipment in the divorce”. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:55:15 am »
I once had a gusher on a 50 gallon wooden barrel. Actually there were two 50 gallon wooden barrels and both had gushers. I'm not exaggerating when I say the volcano went 25-30 feet in the air.
Fun days, I’m sure!

My worst was early on I put a case of bottles in the spare bedroom. They started going off in the middle of the night. Beyond waking up to what we thought were gun shots there was a huge stain on the carpet that had to be hidden with a potted plant afterwards.

I also had a carboy clog and blow it’s too once during fermentation. That one sprayed the ceiling with beer and yeast.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 08:29:47 am »
Fun days, I’m sure!

My worst was early on I put a case of bottles in the spare bedroom. They started going off in the middle of the night. Beyond waking up to what we thought were gun shots there was a huge stain on the carpet that had to be hidden with a potted plant afterwards.

I also had a carboy clog and blow it’s too once during fermentation. That one sprayed the ceiling with beer and yeast.

It was actually pretty terrifying. I never thought wood could bow like that. We could tell they were getting ready to explode and just tapping on the bung was more exhilaration than I cared for. You'd think the bung would have been the weakest link but that was far from evident.

There's video somewhere but unfortunately it was before I had a smart phone so I didn't take it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 10:23:53 am »
I can't believe that growler didn't explode. This video makes me thankful that I ferment and package in kegs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:23:00 pm »
I've had a couple one gallon jugs fermenting get clogged with krausen, blow the stopper and spray the ceiling. Just one gallon of beer. I was never home when it happened either time but I'm sure it was loud and terrifying for my cats.

Those were the early, barely temperature controlled days where I put the jugs in plastic storage bins of water in my Texas apartment which did little to stop them from fermenting into the 70s. That was the end of not using blowoff tubes with those jugs.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing