Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prolonged Primary  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Tim Dean

• 1st Kit
Prolonged Primary
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:22 am »
I brewed a Belgian Pale on 3/2 with the intention of bottling this weekend.  I totally spaced on the fact that I have a wedding to attend out of town and will be out of the house until this Wednesday.  I probably won't have time to bottle until the following weekend.

I pitched WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast and it's been bubbling away pretty steadily at 67 degrees.   The bubbles in the air lock have slowed to about once every 10-15 seconds or so and the krausen is starting to die down.   

My question is this:  Is it going to negatively effect my beer if I let it sit in the carboy for an extra week before bottling?   I haven't checked for final gravity yet, so this whole point might be moot, but I wanted to get ahead of any issues that might pop up.   Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Prolonged Primary
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:08 am »
insert classic Charlie advice.... RDWHAHB. relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

you say your beer is still bubbling, so it's not even finished fermenting yet (though likely will be very soon). it won't hurt anything to sit for an extra week, or even significantly longer.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Tim Dean

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:07 am »
insert classic Charlie advice.... RDWHAHB. relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

you say your beer is still bubbling, so it's not even finished fermenting yet (though likely will be very soon). it won't hurt anything to sit for an extra week, or even significantly longer.

Sometimes it helps to be reassured.  Thanks!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 03:04:27 pm »
I've had ales in the primary for 3 or 4 months with no ill effects.  Three weeks is no worry at all.

Sometimes life just gets in the way of the brewing schedule.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 03:46:27 pm »
My question is this:  Is it going to negatively effect my beer if I let it sit in the carboy for an extra week before bottling?   I haven't checked for final gravity yet, so this whole point might be moot, but I wanted to get ahead of any issues that might pop up.   Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

IMO there could be negative effect if you bottle too fast... in other words, I think you'll get an even BETTER product by leaving it in there for an extra week!  Else you can end up with a lot of yeast and haze and overcarbonation if you bottle too fast.  Just let it go an extra week, extra month, whatever.  It will turn out great, we promise.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jeffrey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:02 pm »

IMO there could be negative effect if you bottle too fast... in other words, I think you'll get an even BETTER product by leaving it in there for an extra week!  Else you can end up with a lot of yeast and haze and overcarbonation if you bottle too fast.  Just let it go an extra week, extra month, whatever.  It will turn out great, we promise.

Cheers.

Let it ride!!!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Dean

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:38:11 am »
Bottled Yesterday and everything was great!   Thanks for the reassurance, ya'll.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 09:05:13 am »
Glad it worked for you. That’s routinely the case with natural processes. If we get out of the way, they usually do their thing as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ASLO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 03:17:58 pm »

Cheers.

I think this is the right advice. Leaving the fully fermented beer in contact with the yeast for several weeks or up to a month or two should only improve most beers. This extra time will help clean up off flavors naturally produced during fermentation and will allow yeast and hop material to settle out, improving clarity. For some styles, IPA's for example, this timing can be more important, as hop aroma and flavor will dissipate with time after fermentation.