Author Topic: sour beer, kegging and beergun  (Read 294 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Assistant Brewer
sour beer, kegging and beergun
« on: March 01, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
would i be able to safely use a keg and beer gun for clean regular beers after a sour beer was in there? im assuming with the beergun as long as i use dedicated lines for sours the actual beergun should be no problem to clean and sanitize, kind of a silly paranoid question but just wanted to get your thoughts, i thought if i would soak it in pbw then fill it with boiling water then star san, would it be better to just keep this a sour only keg?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: sour beer, kegging and beergun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »
Your keg cleaning and sanitation is in the right direction. Get a dip tube brush to clean it. I take the posts and poppets off and boil those in a pan along with the lid. Iodaphor might be good for the sanitation step.

You might want a separate line for the beergun. Make sure to disassemble and clean it using the supplied brush.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »
I have never had a problem using either a strong cleaner soaking or a boiling water soak to kill it all off from sour use back to “clean” fermenting with stainless, but I do have some reservations about tubing and plastic buckets.  You might get by with clean use after sour exposure, I just don’t like it for long term exposure, such as fermenting in buckets or long term keg lines hooked up for sours. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 07:18:11 PM »
I have never had a problem using either a strong cleaner soaking or a boiling water soak to kill it all off from sour use back to “clean” fermenting with stainless, but I do have some reservations about tubing and plastic buckets.  You might get by with clean use after sour exposure, I just don’t like it for long term exposure, such as fermenting in buckets or long term keg lines hooked up for sours.
How about all the o-rings in the keg?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 12:26:30 AM »
When I brewed a lot of sours I always had separate kegs just for them.

When packaging sour beers with my beergun, I always used a separate rubber tip for the beergun, along with separate beer line connected to a black QD (dedicated for only sours).

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
How about all the o-rings in the keg?

Good point, but I break down the keg parts fully for the soak and typically boil the keg parts separately.  Now I must admit that Root Beer calls for all new rubber items, so I can see that protocol making sense that all rubber items are segregated between sours and clean beers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
I take no chances....
Separate kegs and separate beer gun just for sours.
All sour gear never touches any regular beer equipment.
You can never be too careful.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins