Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BrewtanB, who uses it  (Read 3302 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
BrewtanB, who uses it
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:56:02 am »
Who of you’all are using it and can you tell a difference?  Brulosophy couldn’t tell a difference after 6mos.  Kegging vs bottles make any difference?  What amounts are being used?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BrewtanB, who uses it
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:39:31 am »
I had a lengthy thread here some time ago about it maybe actually causing problems -- haze -- its supposed to solve IME.  At best, I can't see any significant difference.   But I tossed a half teaspoon in the mash on my last two brews just to see again.  Not going to be tapped yet for a while, but I still don't see a difference.   I understand the theory, binding protein and chelating metals upstream to avoid downstream problems.   Commercially it is normally added in the aging tank to achieve these ends, and that is the manufacturer's recommendation.   I don't see this homebrew usage being terribly effective,  but again,  I'll see if my experience changes.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:53:54 am »
I have added 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to 8 gallons of water for a couple of mashes. It turns my water purple, but I haven't noticed any other benefits.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:17 pm »
I've been using it in every batch for the last two years (but only in the mash, not in the boil).

I don't know, would be my answer to your second question.   
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »
I've been using it in both the mash and boil for about a year and a half. I use it at the manuf recommended rate.
At about the same time I made a couple of other changes to my cold side handling (spunding, keg purge and closed transfer with CO2) so I really don't know what difference it made by itself.
I plan on continuing to use it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:59:00 pm by mainebrewer »
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BrewBama

BrewtanB, who uses it
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:50:59 pm »
I first began using BtB May 2018 in the mash and boil. I only keg so cannot comment on bottling. Likewise, I brew about two months prior to drinking and it takes ~ one month to consume a keg so I cannot comment on freshness beyond that.

I can say I was a sceptic and therefore fairly late in adoption. However, since incorporating it, I have been pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:02:48 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 06:21:00 pm »
I stopped using Brewtan B and all low oxygen chemicals. I do add 1/4 tablet Campden to my water to dissipate Chloramine.

I use my Grainfather per it’s instructions, ferment about 10 days in a Big Mouth Bubbler, keg (I do fill the keg with co2 and burp before filling), wait 2 weeks, and drink. My kegs are empty within a month or less. My friends and I love the beer.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:19 am »
I stopped using Brewtan B and all low oxygen chemicals. I do add 1/4 tablet Campden to my water to dissipate Chloramine.

I use my Grainfather per it’s instructions, ferment about 10 days in a Big Mouth Bubbler, keg (I do fill the keg with co2 and burp before filling), wait 2 weeks, and drink. My kegs are empty within a month or less. My friends and I love the beer.

Curious: why did you decide to quit using them.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 05:24:56 pm »

Because I don’t taste a difference in my beer with and without these additives.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »

Because I don’t taste a difference in my beer with and without these additives.

Great reason! 

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »
I have similarly stopped using antioxidants (and BTB except for a recent revisit as posted above,) and without SMB to contend with, I can usually just carbon filter instead of RO.  Nice side benefit.  But that might not be germaine to this topic:

Don't forget, the association of gallotannin with low oxygen brewing techniques is purely incidental and restricted to a particular approach popular among homebrewers.   None of these substances or methods are used in German low oxygen brewhouses, while gallotannin has a long history in brewing outside of Germany.   It was once used as a kettle fining, but that practice was long ago abandoned in flavor of more effective agents.  It is still commonly used in the aging tank to bind and help precipitate proteins, enhancing the effectiveness of other clarifiers and filtration.  There it also chelates metals accumulated in the process to that point.   In an MBAA podcast, Joe F. said that this (just prior to filtration and packaging) is the way to go if you are using it either for clarification or to chelate metals to forestall oxidative staling in packaged beer; he was doubtful that its addition anywhere on the hot side would have any significant effect in these regards, but acknowledged that some people (mainly homebrewers) who lack the ability to incorporate the standard cold side processes might try it in the mash and evaluate it for themselves. 

So go ahead and try any of this stuff.  Then yeah, if you can't tell the difference,  don't bother!  And if it helps, do tell.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 06:56:45 pm »
Joe is a member of my brew club, so he presented to the club a few years back when it was not available here to homebrewers (I got my first few ounces from Australia back then).  I use it because it pulls residual iron from my RO water and assists in skimming the hot break, not to mention helping my beers clarify well. YMMV, of course, but I like the results and I attribute them in part, at least, to BTB.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 04:58:43 am »
I use 1/4 tsp in both mash and sparge. I have an old house, old pipes and use tap water. So, even if all it's doing is chelating metals, it's beneficial.

In my kegged beer, color is lighter, beer is ultimately clearer, and fresh flavor seems to last longer.

So, as far as using 1/2 tsp per brew, I'd say it's cheap insurance if not the miracle cure for everything.

YMMV.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:45 am »
Keep in mind, with regards to LOB, if one is not pre-boiling mash/strike/sparge water, then the use of any antioxidants really is a moot point simply because you are already starting with water that is saturated with  dissolved oxygen.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:45:42 am »
Keep in mind, with regards to LOB, if one is not pre-boiling mash/strike/sparge water, then the use of any antioxidants really is a moot point simply because you are already starting with water that is saturated with  dissolved oxygen.

My understanding is that BTB is not a direct antioxidant like, say, Sodium Metabisulfite, rather BTB reacts with some of the things that would otherwise cause oxidation to occur sooner, neutralizing the oxidative effects of those compounds.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"