Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growler Chill Machine  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Michael Dandaraw

• 1st Kit
Growler Chill Machine
« on: February 24, 2019, 01:08:31 pm »
I wanted to ask if anyone has purchased the Growler Chill from the company called Growler Chill. Just curious on how it performed and if it is worth the money.

Mike

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Growler Chill Machine
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:13 pm »
It doesn't matter how long that thing would keep a growler cold and carbonated.  The beer has already been exposed to oxygen when the growler was filled at the tap, so if not consumed within hours, the beer will be quite heavily oxidized, stale and unappealing.   Growlers are not intended to keep or deliver beer in good condition.   They are there to get you home from the taproom before you drink a half gallon of beer, so you don't die or get arrested.  So the machine could work perfectly,  but that's a red herring; the product it is designed around is unstable.   Would be a waste of money.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Michael Dandaraw

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:43:10 pm »
Ok I appreciate the info.
Thanks.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:12 am »
It doesn't matter how long that thing would keep a growler cold and carbonated.  The beer has already been exposed to oxygen when the growler was filled at the tap, so if not consumed within hours, the beer will be quite heavily oxidized, stale and unappealing.   Growlers are not intended to keep or deliver beer in good condition.   They are there to get you home from the taproom before you drink a half gallon of beer, so you don't die or get arrested.  So the machine could work perfectly,  but that's a red herring; the product it is designed around is unstable.   Would be a waste of money.

Rob, have you noticed the effects of oxidation that quickly?  I have had beer kept in an unopened growler for a few days and have not noticed any real "overt" effects of oxidation.  I agree that the beer will be heavily exposed to oxygen by filling from a tap at a brewery but to my palate the effects don't show up within a few hours.  Maybe yours is more sensitive?  Just asking in case I have to refine my palate a bit.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:48:08 am »

Rob, have you noticed the effects of oxidation that quickly?  I have had beer kept in an unopened growler for a few days and have not noticed any real "overt" effects of oxidation.  I agree that the beer will be heavily exposed to oxygen by filling from a tap at a brewery but to my palate the effects don't show up within a few hours.  Maybe yours is more sensitive?  Just asking in case I have to refine my palate a bit.

On occasion overnight I've noticed some deterioration,  yes.  Certainly a machine designed to serve that growler over a period of days, let alone a month, is guaranteed to be serving stale beer before long. (There are countertop machines meant to serve brewery-filled mini kegs, but that limits you to the few brands so packaged.)  Growlers are great as intended -- pick one up on the way home and enjoy, and once opened finish in one session.  (Just opening the growler to connect it to that machine is going to introduce a bit more oxygen.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:52:07 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:01:11 am »

On occasion overnight I've noticed some deterioration,  yes.  Certainly a machine designed to serve that growler over a period of days, let alone a month, is guaranteed to be serving stale beer before long. (There are countertop machines meant to serve brewery-filled mini kegs, but that limits you to the few brands so packaged.)  Growlers are great as intended -- pick one up on the way home and enjoy, and once opened finish in one session.  (Just opening the growler to connect it to that machine is going to introduce a bit more oxygen.)

Point well taken.  I have really not noticed it that quickly but will defer to your observation.  I will have to pay a bit more attention to this in the future. I totally agree that filling a growler from a tap is a horrible way to prevent oxidation especially with the splashing and amount of O2 already in the container.  Even filling a crowler is not so good either.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:55:01 pm »
I have become much more sensitive to oxidation over the last few years, so I rarely take growlers unless I intend to drink them quickly.  I have gone on fishing trips and over 2-3 days noticed a big flavor difference in pale lagers.  Now I use soda bottles with carbonator caps to reduce it somewhat by filling on foam with some overflow then hitting the bottle with CO2 to limit the oxidation.  Even that is not foolproof.

Cheers!

Edit for carbonator cap.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:12:02 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:28 am »
A few years ago there was a company that was creating a countertop machine that served from bags. The bags could be filled from a standard faucet with an adapter, theoretically with O2. Anyone know what happened to it? It seemed kind of like a great option-no cleaning growlers, no O2.

Offline dubsac2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 04:21:36 pm »
If you bottle your Homebrew in growlers this would be a purchase.

I personally bottle my Brew in growlers and Mini kegs. I also have a countertop kegerator, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread for limited types of beer.

Don't be afraid to try something new, you might like it!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:00:51 pm »
If you bottle your Homebrew in growlers this would be a purchase.

I personally bottle my Brew in growlers and Mini kegs. I also have a countertop kegerator, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread for limited types of beer.

Don't be afraid to try something new, you might like it!

Not afraid to try new things, but this thread is about kegging and transferring to a growler from the keg...but thanks for the input!  And, welcome to the forum!!  Your input is always appreciated.  We all want to learn something new.  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 09:00:44 am »

I also have huge concerns about oxidation/carbonation etc etc, but above and beyond that, even if the product did work perfectly as advertised why is it needed? Who keeps growlers around for weeks or months? It's only 4 pints... it's not gonna last that long.  So you go through the effort of opening the growler, purging it, installing it in the machine and 20 minutes later it's gone? What's the point? Waste of 400$ if you ask me.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:19:24 am »
A lot more breweries can now do fills in "Crowlers" - really just extra-large cans.  Though oxidation is still a concern, a couple of these these are, in my opinion, usually a better choice than a growler - and less likely to get broken.  About the only time I use a growler anymore is to take homebrew to a club meeting or other gathering where the beer will be consumed within a few hours.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!