Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Palmer, or Papazian?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
Palmer, or Papazian?
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:27:34 am »
Have been brewing for about 1.5 years, learning via research here and elsewhere and doing ok so far. The online version of Palmer's book has been a brew day review staple. But with a couple of 4th editions by respected brewer/authors now out there, I thought I'd spring for an updated guide. Realize each guy has his fans and objectivity might be hard to come by. But I'll just throw it out there - which do you like better as both a how-to, etc., and why? Or should I just buy both of them? Cheers!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Palmer, or Papazian?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:58:26 am »
Palmer is probably a lot more up to date.  I own the 2nd ed of both.  Palmer's 2nd ed is way ahead of Papazian's 3rd ed (and 2nd ed obviously).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:05:56 am »
4th ed. Palmer is the way to go
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:53:24 pm »
Palmer's How to Brew is in its 4th edition. There are enough changes and new information in it to make it worth buying instead of relying on the free online version... which is the 1st edition. There is even some information in the newest edition that contradicts what is in the 1st. Go with the up-to-date stuff.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14:58 pm »
Palmer for the technical background and rigorous approach.

Papazian for the RDWHAHB laid-back ethos.

RDWHAHB= Relax, don't worry, have a Homebrew.

There is room for both. Choose your style.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:21 pm »
Both.  Both are great reads, great references.  Different but both great.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:42 pm »
Palmer came along a couple decades late for me, but I've read it.  Papazian was the first seemingly comprehensive and authoritative book I found.*  Neither has had a place on my shelf for a long time.  Same goes for lots of other books.  If my reference shelf is now filled with more technical, professional oriented works and historical texts, that doesn't mean all the other books weren't worthwhile (though some are now outmoded.)  Everything I've read has played some part in my education.   Read all you can.  Eventually, as you evolve your own priorities and refine your critical faculties (gaining your own expertise,) you will recognize some sources as more useful than others; but you only learn to evaluate information through continued exposure to as much information as possible.   Same as in any field.  Don't stop at either Palmer or Papazian.

(So short answer,  both.)

*EDIT Seemingly.  As I recall Miller and Noonan were the first to really fit this description.  Miller really got me going, and Noonan is the only one of the old books I might still occasionally look at.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:09:11 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 06:09:14 am »
I’ve read both first and second editions of Palmers book.  Great reads and packed with good information.  Since then, I have read many other publications and found “Big Book Of Brewing” to be a good reference as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Brew-Your-Own-Book-Homebrewing/dp/0760350469/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BSWPYTEKO7ZM&keywords=big+book+of+brewing&qid=1552050446&s=gateway&sprefix=big+book+of+brewing%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

I have found, in this crazy hobby, we can never stop learning.  Since I have never heard of Papazian, I’m going to have to look into it.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
I’ve read both first and second editions of Palmers book.  Great reads and packed with good information.  Since then, I have read many other publications and found “Big Book Of Brewing” to be a good reference as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Brew-Your-Own-Book-Homebrewing/dp/0760350469/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BSWPYTEKO7ZM&keywords=big+book+of+brewing&qid=1552050446&s=gateway&sprefix=big+book+of+brewing%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

I have found, in this crazy hobby, we can never stop learning.  Since I have never heard of Papazian, I’m going to have to look into it.

Charlie’s stuff is fun to read, you will enjoy his approach - and his wooden spoon is in the Smithsonian!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:54:02 am »

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one to have read the Godfather of British homebrewing. Dave Line's book was much more useful 35 years ago that it is today, but it is a good reminder of how rudimentary the hobby/addiction was back in the dark ages.

I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 06:00:03 am »

https://www.amazon.com/Brew-Your-Own-Book-Homebrewing/dp/0760350469/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BSWPYTEKO7ZM&keywords=big+book+of+brewing&qid=1552050446&s=gateway&sprefix=
big+book+of+brewing%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

Charlie’s stuff is fun to read, you will enjoy his approach - and his wooden spoon is in the Smithsonian!

It’s funny you mention this.  I have seen his book on Amazon.  However, the cover looked very cartoon-ish to me so I never gave it any consideration.  Well, I bought it yesterday and started reading it last night following recommendations from this post.  I guess the old saying: “never judge a book by its cover” really means something!  :)
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 05:42:20 pm »
Thanks for the great feedback, folks. I'll buy 'em both and keep on truckin'.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:08 am »
My go-to book is Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher.  It's got a lot of illustrations and charts that present the info clearly and concisely.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:20:47 am »
My go-to book is Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher.  It's got a lot of illustrations and charts that present the info clearly and concisely.

Awesome book! For those who are right brained... thinking in artistic terms rather than scientifically... this book with its colorful charts and graphs make things crystal clear.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 11:26:19 am »

Awesome book! For those who are right brained... thinking in artistic terms rather than scientifically... this book with its colorful charts and graphs make things crystal clear.

Randy also wrote the Brewers Companion, the first homebrew book I ever owned.  It's out of print now, but well worth it if you can find a copy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell