Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: electric brewing systems  (Read 4485 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
electric brewing systems
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:38 am »
I'm saving up for an electric brewing system, i have my eyes on the sabco electric brew magic 20 gallon system, i originally was looking at the more beer system with the tippy mash tun but its not electric and half the volume of the sabco at a very similar price, there are so many systems to choose from, i want a system that is as close as you can get to a pro brewery, i know it will not make me a better brewer but just want a cool system that will last a long time, does anyone have any recommendations?  if anyone has a brew magic electric system would love to hear about it cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Re: electric brewing systems
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 11:43:05 am »
The Brew Easy system from Blichmann is really good and easy to use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:31:04 pm »
I'm saving up for an electric brewing system, i have my eyes on the sabco electric brew magic 20 gallon system, i originally was looking at the more beer system with the tippy mash tun but its not electric and half the volume of the sabco at a very similar price, there are so many systems to choose from, i want a system that is as close as you can get to a pro brewery, i know it will not make me a better brewer but just want a cool system that will last a long time, does anyone have any recommendations?  if anyone has a brew magic electric system would love to hear about it cheers

Ya know, there are a lot of advantages to brewing like a homebrewer, not a commercial brewer.  Just sayin'....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 01:09:47 pm »

Ya know, there are a lot of advantages to brewing like a homebrewer, not a commercial brewer.  Just sayin'....
sure there is advantages, but my #1 goal in my brewing is consistency, brewing the same beer exactly every time,some people enjoy surprises i am not one of those people,  i am aware that malts,hops differ from crop to crop so adjustments must be made on the recipe side to create consistency but having a automated system would keep things consistent on the wort production side and i think its just cool to have a crazy wacky system, i know its not necessary
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 01:15:43 pm »

sure there is advantages, but my #1 goal in my brewing is consistency, brewing the same beer exactly every time,some people enjoy surprises i am not one of those people,  i am aware that malts,hops differ from crop to crop so adjustments must be made on the recipe side to create consistency but having a automated system would keep things consistent on the wort production side and i think its just cool to have a crazy wacky system, i know its not necessary

Thinking it's cool is the best reason. There are a lot of other ways to consistency, though, if that's the main objective.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:34:47 pm »
Ck this out: https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/1-bbl-nano-brewhouse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »

that has to be to coolest system i have seen so far but 16,000 grand is too rich for my blood, its gonna take me a year or 2 just to save enough for the brew magic which is 7 grand, i wish i could get that ss tech one WOW

Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:04:01 pm »
If consistency is your goal, how about this? https://picobrew.com/Store/products/z.cshtml

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

electric brewing systems
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:53:32 pm »
that has to be to coolest system i have seen so far but 16,000 grand is too rich for my blood, its gonna take me a year or 2 just to save enough for the brew magic which is 7 grand, i wish i could get that ss tech one WOW

I’m tracking. Cost as an independent variable.

I am also on a mission of consistency. I measure everything from mill gap (crush repeatability), pump output valve gap (flow repeatability), mash thickness, power input for mash, power input for boil, fermenter temp settings, and anything else I can control.

I look at brewing not as one continuous process, but as individual tasks that have control and decision points. I setup and perform those steps the same way each time to attempt to reach consistency.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:59:08 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 05:48:49 pm »

I look at brewing not as one continuous process, but as individual tasks that have control and decision points. I setup and perform those steps the same way each time to attempt to reach consistency.

Homebrewers and pros all have to address each of those intrinsic, individual tasks that make up the brewing process itself.  On an industrial scale, it is virtually impossible to accomplish any of them without mechanized and automated systems.   On the homebrew scale, many can easily be accomplished without anything more elaborate than Charlie's wooden spoon.   But each piece of equipment introduced to the process will bring with it its own operational and maintenance tasks,  that is, additional tasks not intrinsic to the brewing process proper.  This is one aspect of what Denny refers to as the advantages of brewing like a homebrewer. Another aspect is that mechanization/automation will not necessarily accomplish any given task better than a "by hand" procedure.  In fact it may do it worse. (Pumps introduce undesirable shear, for example.)  Pros might in many cases prefer to use homebrew-like hand methods (as did their predecessors not so long ago) if they only could.

BrewBama's breakdown of the process into individually evaluated goals could be applied to designing your whole system.  Only automate steps that will result in sufficiently greater efficiency or consistency to make the necessary additional ancillary tasks (and overall cost) worthwhile.   IOW, it's not an all or nothing choice between coolers, pitchers, pots and spoons or an all-in-one automatic electric system.  I remain in the first camp and experience extremely high efficiency and consistency and a very simple brew day.  The best PID controller ever constructed is between your ears.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 06:08:16 pm »
I've always wondered if a typical inexpensive homebrew set-up (think Denny's cheap=and=easy) is truly any less consistent than a much more expensive system.  My guess that the answer lies in the person operating the equipment rather than the equipment itself.  I think the idea of repeatability is a great marketing term to sell equipment for those of us that want shiny expensive toys to play with.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 08:51:37 pm »

Homebrewers and pros all have to address each of those intrinsic, individual tasks that make up the brewing process itself.  On an industrial scale, it is virtually impossible to accomplish any of them without mechanized and automated systems.   On the homebrew scale, many can easily be accomplished without anything more elaborate than Charlie's wooden spoon.   But each piece of equipment introduced to the process will bring with it its own operational and maintenance tasks,  that is, additional tasks not intrinsic to the brewing process proper.  This is one aspect of what Denny refers to as the advantages of brewing like a homebrewer. Another aspect is that mechanization/automation will not necessarily accomplish any given task better than a "by hand" procedure.  In fact it may do it worse. (Pumps introduce undesirable shear, for example.)  Pros might in many cases prefer to use homebrew-like hand methods (as did their predecessors not so long ago) if they only could.

BrewBama's breakdown of the process into individually evaluated goals could be applied to designing your whole system.  Only automate steps that will result in sufficiently greater efficiency or consistency to make the necessary additional ancillary tasks (and overall cost) worthwhile.   IOW, it's not an all or nothing choice between coolers, pitchers, pots and spoons or an all-in-one automatic electric system.  I remain in the first camp and experience extremely high efficiency and consistency and a very simple brew day.  The best PID controller ever constructed is between your ears.
you know Robert, i am a silly stupid man but every time i hear one of your replies or posts i get smarter, thank you champ seriously  :D
Matty

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:08 pm »
One problem I have is bouncing efficiency. I think one cause is using different brands of malt from batch to batch.  Pros tend to use the same brand over and over.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 08:20:35 am »
I've always wondered if a typical inexpensive homebrew set-up (think Denny's cheap=and=easy) is truly any less consistent than a much more expensive system.  My guess that the answer lies in the person operating the equipment rather than the equipment itself.  I think the idea of repeatability is a great marketing term to sell equipment for those of us that want shiny expensive toys to play with.

I own and brew on both types of systems.  I can tell you that my cooler system is at least as consistent as any of the fancy systems.  I have proven it to myself over and over again. For my last brew I went completely back to my old school systems and got better results than I do on any of the fancy systems.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 08:21:28 am »
One problem I have is bouncing efficiency. I think one cause is using different brands of malt from batch to batch.  Pros tend to use the same brand over and over.

Yes, that's a major factor.  A good reason to buy malt by the bag if you can.

www.dennybrew.com