Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small batch making on the cheap  (Read 1012 times)

Offline brainlessbeer

• 1st Kit
Small batch making on the cheap
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:09:08 pm »
I have found the 4 gallons 'disposable' water bottles/jugs (some times I might find one in the 2 to the 3-gallons  range) at your local discount home improvement places or grocery stores work great for making small batches of beer.  Like one to two gallons sizes or even 1/2 batches. The bottles are not the really cheap plastic jugs but a bit more substantial, the ones you use in bubblers/coolers.

Also, some of those refillable ones you can buy at the grocery store will work too. If you know a workplace that uses the use and recycle water cooler jugs, another source for workable frebee.

While not as sturdy as more expensive larger homebrew fermenters they make a great addition to my regular set up and used the same stoppers, etc. At my age, a lot easier to lift two 2.5 gallons than a 5-gallon jug, do small batch experiments, or small fun batches with minimal investment and not deal with 5 gallons. It's been fun making small (1 to 2 gallon) batches of different varieties that I might not mess with if making 5 gallons. Easier and faster too in making and bottling (especially using growlers). Consider trying it if you haven't. Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:27:33 pm by brainlessbeer »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Small batch making on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: Small batch making on the cheap
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:27 pm »
I have found the 4 gallons 'disposable' water bottles/jugs (some times I might find one in the 2 to the 3-gallons  range) at your local discount home improvement places or grocery stores work great for making small batches of beer.  Like one to two gallons sizes or even 1/2 batches. The bottles are not the really cheap plastic jugs but a bit more substantial, the ones you use in bubblers/coolers.

Also, some of those refillable ones you can buy at the grocery store will work too. If you know a workplace that uses the use and recycle water cooler jugs, another source for workable frebee.

While not as sturdy as more expensive larger homebrew fermenters they make a great addition to my regular set up and used the same stoppers, etc. At my age, a lot easier to lift two 2.5 gallons than a 5-gallon jug, do small batch experiments, or small fun batches with minimal investment and not deal with 5 gallons. It's been fun making small (1 to 2 gallon) batches of different varieties that I might not mess with if making 5 gallons. Easier and faster too in making and bottling (especially using growlers). Consider trying it if you haven't. Cheers.
i do this from time to time, i buy 2.5 gallon jug of water, BIAB stove top brew, and use the jug as a disposable fermenter, works for me when i wanna brew something but dont wanna go full on brew day
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle