Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: electric brewing systems  (Read 4503 times)

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: electric brewing systems
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 08:45:29 am »
I own and brew on both types of systems.  I can tell you that my cooler system is at least as consistent as any of the fancy systems.  I have proven it to myself over and over again. For my last brew I went completely back to my old school systems and got better results than I do on any of the fancy systems.

Good to hear a candid review. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 08:57:22 am »
I've always wondered if a typical inexpensive homebrew set-up (think Denny's cheap=and=easy) is truly any less consistent than a much more expensive system.  My guess that the answer lies in the person operating the equipment rather than the equipment itself.  I think the idea of repeatability is a great marketing term to sell equipment for those of us that want shiny expensive toys to play with.

I own and brew on both types of systems.  I can tell you that my cooler system is at least as consistent as any of the fancy systems.  I have proven it to myself over and over again. For my last brew I went completely back to my old school systems and got better results than I do on any of the fancy systems.
EB needs to get a sponsorship from Coleman!  ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 09:53:22 am »
hey Denny, i'm curious what kind of electric system do you have?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 10:32:49 am »
I've always wondered if a typical inexpensive homebrew set-up (think Denny's cheap=and=easy) is truly any less consistent than a much more expensive system.  My guess that the answer lies in the person operating the equipment rather than the equipment itself.  I think the idea of repeatability is a great marketing term to sell equipment for those of us that want shiny expensive toys to play with.

No Coleman here...it's Rubbermaid!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 10:34:00 am »

A Zymatic, 2 Picos, a Grainfather and a Mash and Boil. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:20 am »

No Coleman here...it's Rubbermaid!
Hey, they made my lauter tun!  Orange and round. Not blue, sorry!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:59 am »

Cool which one do you like the most? i have a grainfather a friend gave to me and a mash and boil, i personally do not like these systems cause i cannot get a good boil
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 12:03:07 pm »

Cool which one do you like the most? i have a grainfather a friend gave to me and a mash and boil, i personally do not like these systems cause i cannot get a good boil

Zymatic is my first choice.  I love the GF but after the mash I pump the wort to my converted keg and boil there.  I've used the 240V GF and it boils really fast

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 02:41:51 pm »
Yes, that's a major factor.  A good reason to buy malt by the bag if you can.

Amen! Having sacks of both Pale malt and Pils Malt in your brewery is an important element of consistent homebrewing. Those are typically the major components in most brews and understanding how they respond in your system is helpful.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 08:21:51 pm »
I went to BIAB and really never looked back until recently.  I like to recirc with a Herms setup, so I broke down and ordered the SSInfusion Mash tun because I wanted the dual manometer to visually see the differential pressure.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I can afford it and my wife knows how much this hobby means to me.  She also hears from the wives of my friends how much they spend on golf.  I’m a piker compared to them!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:23:51 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 12:04:01 pm »
After thinking about what system i wanna get, i made a total 180, im gonna get a gravity brew stand like a top tier and frankenstein it up with gear i already own. The thought of having a electric system was compelling but then i thought, i need a electrician, i need this, i need that,  forget that, just going old school. i have a bunch of cool gear lying around like a ss infusion mash tun,  ss 10 gallon kettle which is gonna become a HLT, all i need to purchase for this project is a boil kettle and that will be a 16 gallon bayou for 99 bucks and the stand its self, im gonna save 5-6 grand, i might add a 120v RIMS heating element later on which will be the extent of the electric in my brew house
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 12:05:59 pm »
After thinking about what system i wanna get, i made a total 180, im gonna get a gravity brew stand like a top tier and frankenstein it up with gear i already own. The thought of having a electric system was compelling but then i thought, i need a electrician, i need this, i need that,  forget that, just going old school. i have a bunch of cool gear lying around like a ss infusion mash tun,  ss 10 gallon kettle which is gonna become a HLT, all i need to purchase for this project is a boil kettle and that will be a 16 gallon bayou for 99 bucks and the stand its self, im gonna save 5-6 grand, i might add a 120v RIMS heating element later on which will be the extent of the electric in my brew house

Smart move

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 12:17:46 pm »
yeah thanks to you and others giving me pause for thought and talking some sense into this medulla oblongata of mine \m/   \m/
Smart move
Matty

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 10:05:54 am »
I have a friend that went over to RIMS because the ramptime with HERMS was not satisfactory for him.  You can easily add that for a few bucks more, if you want.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 11:18:04 am »
I have a friend that went over to RIMS because the ramptime with HERMS was not satisfactory for him.  You can easily add that for a few bucks more, if you want.  Cheers!
I'm not considering switching to either but I'm curious... what kind of ramp times are you guys able to get with RIMS and HERMS? (Direct fired, I have to watch it very closely to avoid exceeding my target of 2-3°F/min.)  Intuition tells me ramp times would be a drawback to either system, at least from my perspective.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:21:31 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio