Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation length?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Fermentation length?
« on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:42 pm »
Okay, so I thought I would Branch out and try to make some Mead.  I used the no heat method as I was once apiarist and understand that honey is naturally antimicrobial.  However, I pitched B71 into my first batch with 3lbs of honey for 1 gallon of water, aerated well.  3 weeks later I'm still at about 1 bubble every 7 seconds.  Should I be concerned that this is just turning into some fancy honey vinegar, or is this a longer fermentation.  It's been consistently at 68*F since pitching.  I also have another Mead started a week later that is still fermenting at about 1 bubble every 3 seconds using Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong as an experiment.

I'd love to hear from some professional and amateur Mead makers on what you have experienced in the past.  As a Beer brewer I have exactly no experience with Mead and  used to a quick primary fermentation (4-6 days).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Fermentation length?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:03 pm »
Okay, so I thought I would Branch out and try to make some Mead.  I used the no heat method as I was once apiarist and understand that honey is naturally antimicrobial.  However, I pitched B71 into my first batch with 3lbs of honey for 1 gallon of water, aerated well.  3 weeks later I'm still at about 1 bubble every 7 seconds.  Should I be concerned that this is just turning into some fancy honey vinegar, or is this a longer fermentation.  It's been consistently at 68*F since pitching.  I also have another Mead started a week later that is still fermenting at about 1 bubble every 3 seconds using Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong as an experiment.

I'd love to hear from some professional and amateur Mead makers on what you have experienced in the past.  As a Beer brewer I have exactly no experience with Mead and  used to a quick primary fermentation (4-6 days).

Did you rehydrate the yeast using Goferm?

Have you added nutrients in a timed additions over several days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:11:53 am »

Did you rehydrate the yeast using Goferm?

Have you added nutrients in a timed additions over several days.
I added nutrients at the beginning but not since. Yes, rehydrated the yeast.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 05:36:04 am »
This technique adds nutrients as the yeast need them. Honey lacks those nutrients.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/improve-mead-staggered-nutrient-additions/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 05:53:22 am »
I leave my meads alone for at least 2-3 months, usually longer.  I started 2 meads this past October.  One was bottled a couple of months ago in January, very tasty and didn't take long at all, but the other was still fermenting and only stopped in mid-February.  Like with beer, it all depends on the yeast, the temperature, the phase of the moon, the recipe, whether you've added other adjuncts...

In any case I will ALWAYS recommend PATIENCE for the best possible mead.  You can rush it and have something good... or you can be very patient and have something PHENOMENAL.  Take your pick.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:07:16 am »
This technique adds nutrients as the yeast need them. Honey lacks those nutrients.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/improve-mead-staggered-nutrient-additions/

Great advise!  I recently did an apple cider and it too lacks yeast nutrients.  I plan on doing a mead very soon so this information will help!  I have read that some meads take 4-6 months to fully ferment. So, I bought a dedicated carboy so as to NOT slow my beer activities.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:10:33 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:05:09 am »
Awesome, all great advice thanks guys.  I did a wine a few months ago and that fermented to completion in about the same time as my beers.  This just gave me pause to see it still going.  I will be patient.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:27 am »
There are several excellent talks in the Homebrewers seminars archive that talk about nutrients and Mead. With proper technique one can be drinking Mead in less time than it takes to brew and drink some lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild