Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sour beer, kegging and beergun  (Read 1449 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
sour beer, kegging and beergun
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:46:00 am »
would i be able to safely use a keg and beer gun for clean regular beers after a sour beer was in there? im assuming with the beergun as long as i use dedicated lines for sours the actual beergun should be no problem to clean and sanitize, kind of a silly paranoid question but just wanted to get your thoughts, i thought if i would soak it in pbw then fill it with boiling water then star san, would it be better to just keep this a sour only keg?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: sour beer, kegging and beergun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 11:34:16 am »
Your keg cleaning and sanitation is in the right direction. Get a dip tube brush to clean it. I take the posts and poppets off and boil those in a pan along with the lid. Iodaphor might be good for the sanitation step.

You might want a separate line for the beergun. Make sure to disassemble and clean it using the supplied brush.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:47:33 am »
I have never had a problem using either a strong cleaner soaking or a boiling water soak to kill it all off from sour use back to “clean” fermenting with stainless, but I do have some reservations about tubing and plastic buckets.  You might get by with clean use after sour exposure, I just don’t like it for long term exposure, such as fermenting in buckets or long term keg lines hooked up for sours. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »
I have never had a problem using either a strong cleaner soaking or a boiling water soak to kill it all off from sour use back to “clean” fermenting with stainless, but I do have some reservations about tubing and plastic buckets.  You might get by with clean use after sour exposure, I just don’t like it for long term exposure, such as fermenting in buckets or long term keg lines hooked up for sours.
How about all the o-rings in the keg?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:26:30 pm »
When I brewed a lot of sours I always had separate kegs just for them.

When packaging sour beers with my beergun, I always used a separate rubber tip for the beergun, along with separate beer line connected to a black QD (dedicated for only sours).

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:28 am »
How about all the o-rings in the keg?

Good point, but I break down the keg parts fully for the soak and typically boil the keg parts separately.  Now I must admit that Root Beer calls for all new rubber items, so I can see that protocol making sense that all rubber items are segregated between sours and clean beers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:11:00 am »
I take no chances....
Separate kegs and separate beer gun just for sours.
All sour gear never touches any regular beer equipment.
You can never be too careful.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins