Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh Hops  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Re: Fresh Hops
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »
I use my fresh Cascades & Fuggles for what I call "Wet Hopping" while they're in season.  I put them in my IPA or ESB kegs, but what I really like to do is put a fist full in a 2 liter soda bottle, fill it ~2/3 of the way with IPA or ESB, and put a Carbonator on it.  I hit it with CO2 a couple times, and take it to picnics or similar outings.  People really react to the floating cones and the intense aroma, it's great fun.  Some people mention "grassy," but I don't get that much.
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »

Some call the hops straight off the bine wet.  It looks like you like fresh as the term..
Should Dave Wills change the name of his company.  :D

These guys know a little about hops too.
Wet http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html
Fresh http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html

Just pointing out where I learned the terms, not being too OCD (or am I???).

Edit - Denny is right.  The talk by James Altweis was one of the best of the conference, I would say outstanding.
Fresh makes sense, wet just doesn't, so I'm on a one-man campaign to get people to change.  I'm not grumpy about it, I just don't think wet is a good term at all.  And I don't think anyone else really cares.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:37:22 am »
Fresh makes sense, wet just doesn't, so I'm on a one-man campaign to get people to change.  I'm not grumpy about it, I just don't think wet is a good term at all.  And I don't think anyone else really cares.   ;D

Ooooohhh, Mr. Grumpy!   ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:57 am »
Ooooohhh, Mr. Grumpy!   ;D
You know me :)
Tom Schmidlin