Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Effin beer?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Effin beer?
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:08 pm »
Just read so you don't have to:
Did Dietary Changes Bring Us ‘F’ Words? Study Tackles Complexities of Language’s Origins https://nyti.ms/2W2o9rg

TL;DR:  Agriculture, growing grains and adopting a diet largely comprised of soft or semi liquid preparations made from grains may have led to changes in human jaw anatomy, allowing the "F" sound to enter human language.   Controversial.

Here's why I think it must be true:  The more beer you drink, the more f-words you tend to use!  ;D ;D ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Effin beer?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 05:27:57 pm »
Can't we still not give a rat's a$$ instead of not giving an eff? I think I'm going to cry and seek out some smowflakes to console me :(

Ya gotta love some of the things people actually spend their time doing:)
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 06:04:27 am »
Can't we still not give a rat's a$$ instead of not giving an eff? I think I'm going to cry and seek out some smowflakes to console me :(

Ya gotta love some of the things people actually spend their time doing:)

Well said!  +1
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:00:05 pm »
That study is effed up!  ;)
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 02:18:31 pm »
The science and data are actually quite interesting.  At its most basic, once we stopped grinding off our front teeth we were able to make a couple of new sounds.  With longer front teeth our top teeth could touch our lower lip.  Without that ability, you cannot make an F or V sound.

It seems like everything has to be made course now days.  There are many words that begin with F and V but all the headlines only go to one particular expressive to grab folks interest.

I still chuckled the first time I saw a headline for this story.  It got old when every news outlet was using the same hook.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?