Author Topic: Simple Homebrewing presentation  (Read 158 times)

Online BrewBama

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
Simple Homebrewing presentation
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
So, I am still not getting newsletters but I went on AHA and found the 2019 conference presentations are available now.  For me, this is probably the best perk to being an AHA member. Though I cannot travel all over the country by airplane like I used to, I can listen and follow the presentations as well as refer back to them as a subject interests me or a question pops up.

One presentation I was particularly interested in was Denny and Drew’s Simple Homebrewing. I have adopted the KISS or constrained principle, controlled setup, and regulated processes in my brewery with the likes of Brewing on the Ones, Beer Simple, etc.  This fits nicely with my personality and background.

However, after listening last night it seemed like Denny and Drew were hurried due to a book signing commitment which left me with a couple questions that hopefully one or the other (or both) can answer. Others are welcome to offer their experiences as well.

1.  20 min mash/boil. When you said you achieved 75% ‘efficiency’ from a 20 min BIAB mash and 20 min boil in your trials, can you clarify how you calculated efficiency?  I often hear the term ‘efficiency’ around homebrewing and have found very different meanings and calculations from one brewer to the next. Without a definition it’s more difficult to understand what a brewer means.

2.a. 34/70 yeast used in the mid 60(s). I’ve read mixed reviews on this. One homebrewer in particular reported using it five times (two were harvested and re-used as second gen) with great results on some and fruity tart character on others. The results were scattered from first to second gen. There didn’t seemed to be a smoking gun on why one batch was awesome and the next a turd. It was interesting to hear your successful use as a clean ale yeast. (I have yet to use 34/70 in a warm ferment but it is coming soon.) Have you had any mixed results from using 34/70 in the mid 60(s)?  If so, have you found contributing factors such as certain grain or hops?

2.b.  Have you tried any other lager yeasts in the mid 60(s) and if so, what were they and what was the outcome?

3.  SnS starter.  Prior to the presentation I understood: prepare the wort, inoculate, then shake but in the presentation you shake into foam then inoculate. Why did you begin inoculating after the shake?

Those are the questions. This is just a comment:

Templates.  I adopted templates for my recipes and it was pretty cool to hear Drew uses them as well. I admit that I find satisfaction in the constraint of six color based templates to start from. I occasionally modify from those base recipes and alter yeast and hops for the various styles. It was interesting to see Drew’s Pale Ale recipe which fits nicely in my base malt (or combination of base) + med crystal ‘Basic Pale’ template.  ...but Denny was fairly vocal that he disagrees with this approach and is wide open to anything in any amount to meet his goal.  I loved the comment that crystal has to be limited to 5% is BS. LOL (I agree)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:24:09 PM by BrewBama »
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Simple Homebrewing presentation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »
So, I am still not getting newsletters but I went on AHA and found the 2019 conference presentations are available now.  For me, this is probably the best perk to being an AHA member. Though I cannot travel all over the country by airplane like I used to, I can listen and follow the presentations as well as refer back to them as a subject interests me or a question pops up.

One presentation I was particularly interested in was Denny and Drew’s Simple Homebrewing. I have adopted the KISS or constrained principle, controlled setup, and regulated processes in my brewery with the likes of Brewing on the Ones, Beer Simple, etc.  This fits nicely with my personality and background.

However, after listening last night it seemed like Denny and Drew were hurried due to a book signing commitment which left me with a couple questions that hopefully one or the other (or both) can answer. Others are welcome to offer their experiences as well.

1.  20 min mash/boil. When you said you achieved 75% ‘efficiency’ from a 20 min BIAB mash and 20 min boil in your trials, can you clarify how you calculated efficiency?  I often hear the term ‘efficiency’ around homebrewing and have found very different meanings and calculations from one brewer to the next. Without a definition it’s more difficult to understand what a brewer means.

2.a. 34/70 yeast used in the mid 60(s). I’ve read mixed reviews on this. One homebrewer in particular reported using it five times (two were harvested and re-used as second gen) with great results on some and fruity tart character on others. The results were scattered from first to second gen. There didn’t seemed to be a smoking gun on why one batch was awesome and the next a turd. It was interesting to hear your successful use as a clean ale yeast. (I have yet to use 34/70 in a warm ferment but it is coming soon.) Have you had any mixed results from using 34/70 in the mid 60(s)?  If so, have you found contributing factors such as certain grain or hops?

2.b.  Have you tried any other lager yeasts in the mid 60(s) and if so, what were they and what was the outcome?

3.  SnS starter.  Prior to the presentation I understood: prepare the wort, inoculate, then shake but in the presentation you shake into foam then inoculate. Why did you begin inoculating after the shake?

Those are the questions. This is just a comment:

Templates.  I adopted templates for my recipes and it was pretty cool to hear Drew uses them as well. I admit that I find satisfaction in the constraint of six color based templates to start from. I occasionally modify from those base recipes and alter yeast and hops for the various styles. It was interesting to see Drew’s Pale Ale recipe which fits nicely in my base malt (or combination of base) + med crystal ‘Basic Pale’ template.  ...but Denny was fairly vocal that he disagrees with this approach and is wide open to anything in any amount to meet his goal.  I loved the comment that crystal has to be limited to 5% is BS. LOL (I agree)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you enjoyed it!

1.  Efficiency was brewhouse efficieny....into the fermenter

2.  Done it enough times I can't recall how many.  Never had any problems.
2b.  WY2124, S-189....dont recall if there were others without checking my notes

3.  Because that's the way Mark described doing it.  I can't imagine that the order matters,  though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell