Author Topic: Homebrew Con 2019  (Read 1739 times)

Offline garyg

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Homebrew Con 2019
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:42 PM »
Okay, so here's a rough list of the things that we consider when choosing locations for future Homebrew Cons.  The top three are must-haves.  The others will vary in importance and aren't in any specific order.  I'm probably leaving some things out that I'm just not thinking about right now, but this is a pretty comprehensive list.

•   Must be in a state where we can clearly, legally have homebrew served to attendees.
•   Need a venue that can hold 3000+ attendees, 6 simultaneous educational sessions, competition judging, an expo hall that can accommodate 80+ exhibitors, event space for Kickoff Party and Club Night (reception for 3000+).
•   Need available dates for Thurs-Sat during the last three weeks of June.
•   Cost of the venue (space rental, catering minimums/pricing, labor costs, A/V costs, decorating costs, etc)
•   Cost of transportation for attendees, particularly hotel room rates
•   Since 2012, we have tried to rotate the conference between, East/Middle/West.  There is no specific territorial borders here, just roughly trying to keep the conference moving across the country.
•   Have members from this area expressed interest in having Homebrew Con in their area?
•   Accessibility of the location (both for attendees who are driving and those who fly to the conference)
•   Desirability of the location – will members want to travel to get to this destination?  (We survey members about potential locations)
•   Governing Committee feedback
•   Has a previous conference been held in this location recently?
•   Is the venue willing to work with our chef?
•   Local population density
•   AHA membership density
•   Active local homebrewing community
•   Local beer scene
•   Local restaurants/food options
•   Other events in the area around the time of the conference dates that might enhance/hinder attendance
Gary Glass
American Homebrewers Association Director
Boulder, Colorado

Online BrewBama

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Con 2019
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2019, 08:51:28 PM »
That is a very comprehensive list Gary. It definitely sheds light on an otherwise obscure decision making process. I for one appreciate you putting this together for general membership knowledge. It appears to be a fairly complex set of criteria and at least we now know the level of pain you guys go thru for this event. An unenviable task to be sure.

Thank you and the team for what you all do for our organization!  Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL