Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat Haze and SRM  (Read 1115 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Wheat Haze and SRM
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:22:41 pm »
Would a significant amount of wheat create the illusion of being a bit darker with a very dark beer? I’m wanting a black beer that isn’t roasty, that tastes like an amber. So far my beers have either tasted like a Schwarzbier using Midnight Wheat in the mash of a bit more of a brown using said grains in the sparge. But I’ve also been targeting about 30 SRMs. Were I to use a something along the lines of 20-25% white wheat along with Midnight Wheat so as to be quite hazy and shoot for say for high 20’s might it aid the appearance and look black?

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Wheat Haze and SRM
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:41:39 pm »
If anything, I think white wheat would do the opposite of what you're wanting. It'll result in more haze and so would probably make the beer look lighter due to the extra turbidity. All else being equal, a turbid beer will appear lighter than a clear beer because of all the light scatter.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:47:38 pm »
Interesting. I wouldn’t have (and didn’t) thought so.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:05 am »
Red wheat will darken the color more than white wheat.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:38 am »
If anything, I think white wheat would do the opposite of what you're wanting. It'll result in more haze and so would probably make the beer look lighter due to the extra turbidity. All else being equal, a turbid beer will appear lighter than a clear beer because of all the light scatter.
+1

PS to darken with minimal flavor impact try Sinamar.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:47:37 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:14 am »
I want to use just grains. My next attempt will just move more out of the mash and into the sparge and see how that goes. Were it an option at MoreBeer I’d possibly try it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
I want to use just grains. My next attempt will just move more out of the mash and into the sparge and see how that goes. Were it an option at MoreBeer I’d possibly try it.

Sinamar is made from grain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:20 am »
Yep, Sinamar is made by Weyermann,  it's an extract of dehusked Carafa that's never been heated, so minimal roasty flavor, just a whiff of malt.  Reinheitsgebot compliant. It's cold extracted and concentrated by vacuum boiling to 3000°SRM.  So it's like when you cold steep grain, but way more color and less flavor than any homemade hack could provide.

You can get it from William's Brewing.   I thought MoreBeer had it too but I could be wrong.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.