Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Von Trapp Lodge and brewery  (Read 1224 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Von Trapp Lodge and brewery
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:22:32 pm »
My wife and I are going to spend a few nights in Vermont at the Von Trapp lodge. Yes, it’s the same family from the Sound of Music fame.
They have a brewery on site. What’s your opinion of the beers? Do they brew in a traditional German method
 ( decoction mashing). I’m curious if anyone has been there or tried the beers that they brew on site. I see that they have a Dunkel,Vienna,and October fest beer in steady rotation.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Von Trapp Lodge and brewery
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »
I've had their beers from the store.  Good beer but not a destination for just the beer.  The Alchemist is right down the road (Heady Topper fame), and not too far off in Morrisville is Lost Nation and Rock Art.

Of course a little further out past Morrisville is Hill Farmstead, but I never see why everyone is so excited to go to that place.  Good beer yes, but it's out in the middle of nowhere.  You can probably get some Hill beer in a restaurant...Prohibition Pig in Waterbury will probably have some too.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:00:42 pm »
I've had their beers from the store.  Good beer but not a destination for just the beer.  The Alchemist is right down the road (Heady Topper fame), and not too far off in Morrisville is Lost Nation and Rock Art.

Of course a little further out past Morrisville is Hill Farmstead, but I never see why everyone is so excited to go to that place.  Good beer yes, but it's out in the middle of nowhere.  You can probably get some Hill beer in a restaurant...Prohibition Pig in Waterbury will probably have some too.
I have family in Vermont. I’ve been there many times. I not going there just for the beer. I’m just curious how the beer at Von Trapp is.
I do plan on visiting Hills Farmstead sometime.
Sometimes what seems close in Vermont can actually be far away when you take the bad roads into account.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:29:45 am »

I have family in Vermont. I’ve been there many times. I not going there just for the beer. I’m just curious how the beer at Von Trapp is.
I do plan on visiting Hills Farmstead sometime.
Sometimes what seems close in Vermont can actually be far away when you take the bad roads into account.

I grew up in Southern VT and my brother lives about 10 miles from Hill Farmstead and I've never been there.  I've had the beer, which I like. 

Like i said, Von Trapp is solid beer from the ones I've had from the store.  I bet it's even better on premises.

Enjoy!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------