Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kansas city kansas water profile -advice?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: kansas city kansas water profile -advice?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:28 am »
The newest version has accommodation for sodium metabisulfite, if that's what your tabs are made of (could be potassium.)  Any time you change any of the hardness minerals or acid additions, it will revise the mash pH.  If you're doing no sparge then obviously ignore the sparge acidification page.  Just set your full volume as the mash volume.   I've always used lactic acid because it is the one acid produced naturally in brewing processes (acid rest, sour mash, acid malt) and has a very unobtrusive flavor.

Ive got the potassium kind...Im also going with citric, since its what ive got on hand, although Id heard references that lactic was only for sours?  Past it now. 

How long after I mash in will the correct ph register on a testing strip or meter?  Is it nearly immediately, or does it take 10-20 mins?

I wait 10-15 minutes.

The Germas use Sauergut, which is lactic acid made from the natural process of inoculating wort with the lactic acid on raw grain. You could also look into using acid malt, which has been sprayed with the Sauergut.
Last time at Ayinger I caught a whiff of lactic acid, and looked at the tank next to me labeled Sauergut. It was the bioreactor that they produce it in.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
I recall looking at KC water for a friend years ago. It is not very well suited for brewing. Including some dilution water is a good idea.  Zymurgy magazine has requested that I write an article of RO equipment for homebrewers and it is underway. I'd expect that members will be reading it this fall.

I concur with the OP's thoughts that Bru'n Water looks daunting on first look. It is daunting if you don't take the 15 minutes necessary to actually read the included instructions. The good thing is that once a user reads through and understands how the program flows and the minor inputs needed after that initial program setup, it is pretty easy to use. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:18 pm »

I concur with the OP's thoughts that Bru'n Water looks daunting on first look. It is daunting if you don't take the 15 minutes necessary to actually read the included instructions. The good thing is that once a user reads through and understands how the program flows and the minor inputs needed after that initial program setup, it is pretty easy to use.

I agree. At first it was best guess, hunt and peck, but now having used it I pretty much get a solution very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:57 pm »
I recall looking at KC water for a friend years ago. It is not very well suited for brewing. Including some dilution water is a good idea.  Zymurgy magazine has requested that I write an article of RO equipment for homebrewers and it is underway. I'd expect that members will be reading it this fall.

As an IT friend said often, RTFM!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:13 pm »
Martin, as I said before, Im thankful for this tool you've given all of us.  I certainly didnt mean to offend or insult you with suggestions of improvement.  I read the directions quite a bit, spent most of a day playing with it in fact.  Some things were still unclear, so I asked. 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:09 pm »

Always refreshing to get this kind of response from a fellow forum and AHA member.  Its what inspires all of us to learn, and ask further questions here. 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 07:10:10 am »

Always refreshing to get this kind of response from a fellow forum and AHA member.  Its what inspires all of us to learn, and ask further questions here.

My weak attempt at humor.

Reading the manual is tedious sometimes, but can save you so much time once you start using the device or program. Martin's water knowledge page and the instruction manual are essential.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 07:19:46 am »

My weak attempt at humor.

Reading the manual is tedious sometimes, but can save you so much time once you start using the device or program. Martin's water knowledge page and the instruction manual are essential.
I'd say the Water Knowledge page is essential reading even for those who will never use the program.  It's just the most concise and comprehensive guide to the subject you'll find.   But using the program returns far more savings in trouble than it demands.  Once, as noted, you've followed that universal axiom, "when all else fails, read the instructions. "
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.