Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish ale  (Read 3611 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Scottish ale
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:53 am »
Looking for comments on a Scottish ale recipe I have been formulating.  A little bit non traditional.

5 gallons, aiming for an OG around 1.048

8 lbs. Simpson's Golden Promise
1 lb. Simpson's Golden Naked Oats
1 lb. D-90 candi syrup

Mash in at 155°F or so with CaCl and lactic acid to adjust the mash pH in the 5.1 to 5.5 range for 90 min.

Boil for 90 min.

1 oz. Northern Brewer 60 min
1 lb. D-90 candi syrup 10 min

Got a packet of Imperial Yeast A31 Tartan on the way.

Looking for a malty but not sweet beer, with a nice head.  Thinking the D-90 should get me a nice dark color and a little flavor, similar to boiling the first runnings, but without the extra effort.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Scottish ale
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:53:23 am »
needs more Fuggles....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:22:13 pm »
Gah!  Ron Pattison has spent much blood, toil, sweat and tears trying to dispel the homebrew myth of boiled down first runnings or long boils in Scottish brewing.  They rarely boiled more than 60 minutes traditionally, shorter than south of the border.   But like all British brewers they've long used dark Invert syrups.   I think the D-90 would be a tasty take on that.  Please send a pint when ready. :)  Seriously, I've thought about subbing D-90 in a British beer.  Report how it turns out.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »
My only concern with the recipe is that the beer might dry out too much with only your "base" malts and the inclusion of the candi syrup.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:08 pm »
Gah!  Ron Pattison has spent much blood, toil, sweat and tears trying to dispel the homebrew myth of boiled down first runnings or long boils in Scottish brewing.  They rarely boiled more than 60 minutes traditionally, shorter than south of the border.   But like all British brewers they've long used dark Invert syrups.   I think the D-90 would be a tasty take on that.  Please send a pint when ready. :)  Seriously, I've thought about subbing D-90 in a British beer.  Report how it turns out.

Myth or not, a boil down makes the beer the way it should be.  I care about the results, not duplicating a process.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »

Myth or not, a boil down makes the beer the way it should be.  I care about the results, not duplicating a process.
But there are probably easier ways to get there.  Dunno, never tried the boil-down thing.  Point is, you shouldn't think it's not Scottish if it's not boiled a lot.  Agree as always it's the results and not the process that you taste in your mug.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:13:08 pm »
But there are probably easier ways to get there.  Dunno, never tried the boil-down thing.  Point is, you shouldn't think it's not Scottish if it's not boiled a lot.  Agree as always it's the results and not the process that you taste in your mug.

Don't see how it could be a lot easier...run the first gal. into a small kettle and boil it while you boil the rest of the batch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »
My only concern with the recipe is that the beer might dry out too much with only your "base" malts and the inclusion of the candi syrup.

That's a good point.  Maybe I will add 4-6 oz. of crystal 40.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:57 pm »

And Fuggles....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »

And Fuggles....
Let me see if I understand what you're saying, more fuggles?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 07:04:09 pm »

And Fuggles....

You got it.  It's like tambourine.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:52 am »
Fuggles would certainly work, but I'm saving mine for a nice spring mild.

Maybe Bramling Cross?  I've found them to taste dirtier than Fuggles.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 11:17:35 am »
Fuggles would certainly work, but I'm saving mine for a nice spring mild.

Maybe Bramling Cross?  I've found them to taste dirtier than Fuggles.
I wish I could remember the beer writer who described Fuggles as "fresh English dirt in the morning."  ;D  (I love Fuggles, as did that writer.  But from a marketing standpoint, that needs some work...)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 12:09:17 pm »

And Fuggles....

You got it.  It's like tambourine.

Are you sure it doesn't need more cowbell?  I thought I heard somewhere everything needs more cowbell.  ;D

I won't comment on the recipe since I can't recall exactly what's in my Scottish Ale at the moment (and can't look it up at work).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:18:40 pm »

Forgot to comment on this.  While this is all true, it takes 4 hours to make Invert No. 3.  Cheating a bit by boiling the first runnings or using D-90 certainly saves time, even if the Scots only boil for 60 minutes. ;)

Thinking about this some more.....I am going to forgo adding any C-40 as the Golden Naked Oats are like the crystal malt of the oat world.  I might even bump them up to 1.5 lbs.