Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: everyone's favorite fermentation control method  (Read 3682 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: everyone's favorite fermentation control method
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »
Temp control setup from SS Brewtech, but in a plastic bucket.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 08:17:18 pm »
SS Brewtech's FTSs for cooling and a fermwrap for heating if necessary.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 10:17:05 am »
I have an older dorm fridge hooked up to an Inkbird. It's a little larger than newer dorm fridges so it's big enough to fit even the taller 7.9 gallon brewing buckets (although not tall enough for an airlock). It was converted to a kegerator by the prior owner but I took off the tap hardware. I also have heat tape I use in the fridge to ferment saisons warm and use the fridge as an insulated space to build up heat.

Temperature control was essential in my old house in Texas because I fermented in a guest bathroom that stayed in the 70s most of the year. Now I use part of my office in the basement which stays in the 60s through most of the year. I could probably get away with not controlling temperature down there but I still use the fridge and it rarely runs.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
I use a chest freezer with a length of fermwrap secured to the side with adhesive hook and loop fasteners, both of which are plugged into a dual stage Auber controller.

If I set both differentials to 0.3° and set the hot and cold set points 0.3° from each other, the beer temperature will hold within a 1.5° range.

When fermenting in the SS Brew Bucket, I'll use the thermowell, but when I ferment in my 10 gallon corny, I just tape the probe to the side of the keg with a bit of insulation.  They both seem to work pretty much the same (and I also monitor with thermometer adhesives and the temp probe on my Tilt).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 12:12:49 pm »
I am using 3787 almost exclusively to make 5 beers: Tafelbier, Patersbier, Dubbel, Tripel and Dark Strong Ale.

I don't control temperature at all.

In the winter, the ambient temperature in my basement where I ferment is between 64-66 F. In the summer, it's a little cooler because of the central air and the fact I have a duct in the laundry room to prevent the pipes freezing in the winter, so probably around 62-64 F.

I chill to 64 F and just let it ride. Initially the temperature is limited to around 64-66 F due to the ambient temperature for about 24-36 hours. 48-60 hours in it starts to creep toward 68 F, and right around 72-84 hours in it begins to creep toward the low to mid 70's.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:13 am »
Dorm fridge with foam box attached, carboys with thermowell stoppers, a raspberry pi and arduino running fermentrack open-source software.  8)
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 11:18:55 am »
Temp control setup from SS Brewtech, but in a plastic bucket.

That's pretty slick.  Cool idea
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC