Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB setup - need an automatic stirring arm/drum  (Read 1875 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
BIAB setup - need an automatic stirring arm/drum
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:25:54 pm »
Its always bothered me that step mashing, or even single infusion one temp rests are just accepted as fact.  Reality is, the temps vary all over the kettle, from middle, to middle top, to sides, to the bottom.  All too often Im on my way to the next temp rest and the bottom reads a good 4-6 degrees higher than the middle or top.  Sides are somewhere in between.  No wonder my beers dont taste as expected - my mash steps are shotgun blasts of temperature ranges all over.  Id like them to be more uniform. 

Seems to me it would be great to have a little drum or some sort of stirring element (something that wont tangle the bag) in the kettle, running off a small motor.  Nothing fast, just a slow turning action, to make sure the temps I read are an average, and not spot checks. 

Anyone make something like that or know of something available commercially? 

Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BIAB setup - need an automatic stirring arm/drum
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:56 pm »
I have a Grainfather. I have made the mistake of stirring an otherwise nicely recirculating mash too close to sparge time. I ended up with a stuck sparge. Be careful.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BIAB setup - need an automatic stirring arm/drum
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:27:51 pm »
I think it's called a "spoon"....:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:56 pm »
+1,000,000
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:00:29 pm »
I’ve seen a video where the brewer used an ice cream churn motor to fashion a set of rakes to stir his mash.  Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/__Q5WUSca4Y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:04 pm »
I’ve seen a video where the brewer used an ice cream churn motor to fashion a set of rakes to stir his mash.  Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/__Q5WUSca4Y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have tried various home-built mechanized stirrers for BIAB with no success.  I have a mechanized whirlpool stirrer for after the boil, and it works great, but it has not worked at all for the mash. The slow speed of the ice cream churner may keep it from twisting up or catching on the bag, although I would have gone with lexan or ABS for the top instead of wood. I think a recirculation pump would do just as good a job as a stirrer without worrying about catching the bag, at the expense of a bit more complicated cleanup. The pump and external plumbing would contribute to temperature loss, but with an electric kettle that could be compensated for with ease. FWIW, I now use an occasional stir with a spoon and let it go at that.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:11 am »
There is more heat content in the wort than in the grist solids. In addition, it is far easier to move wort than the grist. If you want more uniformity in mashing temperature, pumping the wort through the mash is the way to go.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:02 am »
+1,000,000

I love that, Denny!!!!!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:12 am »
There is more heat content in the wort than in the grist solids. In addition, it is far easier to move wort than the grist. If you want more uniformity in mashing temperature, pumping the wort through the mash is the way to go.

This is exactly what I do with my BIAB. Works great.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 01:27:30 pm »
Perhaps you are mashing too thick?  Above ~1.5 qt/lb the mash is loose and it is much easier to get the temperature reasonably uniform.

Some people have had success with sous vide circulators.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 01:35:02 pm »
Perhaps you are mashing too thick?  Above ~1.5 qt/lb the mash is loose and it is much easier to get the temperature reasonably uniform.

I don't BIAB but do find this to be quite true.   I've found the magic ratio starts right around 1.6 qt/lb, where just a few strokes of my mash fork get everything mixed quite homogeneously and even temperatures are easily maintained with neither recirculation nor continuous stirring.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 05:52:16 pm »

I didnt think so, but once I used more water in the mash it really did seem to help.  Im a little resistant to a pump and recirc, for the additional cleanup and hassle, but might have to go that way eventually.  Pumps are expensive too....

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:05 am »

I didnt think so, but once I used more water in the mash it really did seem to help.  Im a little resistant to a pump and recirc, for the additional cleanup and hassle, but might have to go that way eventually.  Pumps are expensive too....

I don't think a pump could be any more expensive than whatever automated stirring element you have in mind. Seriously, just use a spoon or mash paddle.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 08:38:36 am »
I don't think a pump could be any more expensive than whatever automated stirring element you have in mind. Seriously, just use a spoon or mash paddle.

The whole POINT in asking was to see if better efficiency could be had by automating the stirring action.  I have a  spoon and use it just fine, but thanks for the condescending tone and advice.  I was hoping something better was around. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:04:59 pm »
Seems to me it would be great to have a little drum or some sort of stirring element (something that wont tangle the bag) in the kettle, running off a small motor.  Nothing fast, just a slow turning action, to make sure the temps I read are an average, and not spot checks. 

Anyone make something like that or know of something available commercially?

There are at least two brewers on the lowoxygen forum that use something like what you are describing.

Below is a picture of one of them.   I've tried, but I cannot find the second picture.  It was a device similar to the below, but the agitator looked more like a big drill auger.

I hope Tomabrew doesn't mind my posting this here.  If you join the lowoxygen forum, you could reach out to him directly for more info.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC