Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?  (Read 8429 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2019, 03:52:52 am »
Anybody, besides me, wonder where the OP went? Over 2 weeks and 5 pages of discussion and no further word from the OP.!

Three posts over the course a month and then radio silence.  Maybe he decided we were boring, old, guys who didn't want to fight?  Funny thing is, he wouldn't be wrong.  ;)

Paul
He was really an operative inside AB InBev HQ and has accomplished his objective here.  Now have I earned my tin foil hat?   ;)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I saw was from Israel, said OK. Maybe he
 was gathering data? How negative we are?

Tin foil is good.

Just seems odd to start a discussion and then not participate in it. Maybe he's like me, just following the discussion to see what other people think about the topic.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2019, 06:00:26 am »
Anybody, besides me, wonder where the OP went? Over 2 weeks and 5 pages of discussion and no further word from the OP.!

Three posts over the course a month and then radio silence.  Maybe he decided we were boring, old, guys who didn't want to fight?  Funny thing is, he wouldn't be wrong.  ;)

Paul
He was really an operative inside AB InBev HQ and has accomplished his objective here.  Now have I earned my tin foil hat?   ;)

Tin foil is good.

Just seems odd to start a discussion and then not participate in it. Maybe he's like me, just following the discussion to see what other people think about the topic.
What the heck is that?

I don't know.

Well, poke it with a stick and see what it does.

:o
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2019, 06:56:22 am »
Boycotting a Homebrew store because it is a forgone conclusion that the parent company which is owned by a certain corporation will take over the Homebrewing Market is an appeal to probability and emotion.  I initially fell into the same trap.

If the takeover happens I’ll assesses the situation and apply a practical application at that time (aka pragmatism).  Until then I’ll choose to take sage advice and not live in a world of what might happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:58:01 am by BrewBama »

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2019, 07:47:03 am »
Boycotting a Homebrew store because it is a forgone conclusion that the parent company which is owned by a certain corporation will take over the Homebrewing Market is an appeal to probability and emotion.  I initially fell into the same trap.

If the takeover happens I’ll assesses the situation and apply a practical application at that time (aka pragmatism).  Until then I’ll choose to take sage advice and not live in a world of what might happen.

For me it is about refusing to help fund what I know they’ve been doing on the other side. I have no idea what they’re doing in the homebrew supply business, but I am skeptical. Regardless I don’t want to help them in any way. If it were MolsonCoors or whoever Miller is with now I wouldn’t be concerned.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2019, 08:12:11 am »

Paul

Tin foil is good.

What the heck is that?

I don't know.

Well, poke it with a stick and see what it does.

:o

To me it seems more like a philosophy teacher in college starting class with "Hedgehog, neither hedge nor hog, discuss."  And the they just watch the mayhem ensue.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2019, 07:14:13 am »
Ok. I decided to give an online homebrew supplier with the same ingredients as NB a shot at my business. I’ll preface this with: I really want to use other retailers that deal in specialty products. Here’s what happened:

I ordered items the well known online supplier has listed on their website 5 Mar.

I received my package 6 days later. However, I did not receive what I ordered. My ingredients were substituted without my consent though my phone number and email address are printed on my invoice. There is a hand written note thanking me for my order but no mention of the substitution. I ordered a hard to find item that only this store listed as ‘in stock’. I could have easily picked up the substituted item downtown.

I contacted them by phone and spoke to a person who literally said, “I don’t know anything about this stuff.”  He went on to explain there are items listed as ‘in stock’ online that they really don’t have. He said there are also things they have that are not on the website. Interesting. I asked him to see if the item that I ordered was in stock thinking maybe it was a simple picking error. He said he checked and no it wasn’t. He apologized for the experience and offered a solution. I accepted the offer and was told it would go out UPS.

BTW, I had no idea UPS had an option to choose ‘slower than a snail’. I mean I’ve seen their routine 3 or 4 day standard delivery, next day air, next business day, etc. but this package has been in UPS for 8 days and counting.

That’s 14 total days to get this matter settled for an item that is still listed as ‘in stock’ on their website. ...and this is no run of the mill store. They’ve been in business a *very* long time.  Unfortunately, they’ve lost my trust and confidence.

As a contrast, a while back I ordered ingredients from another well known supplier. The yeast I ordered had surpassed the expiration date. They called me and said they’d either throw in two or let me choose an alternative yeast. Imagine that, they let me decide vs just substituting without my consent.  Great service but they don’t carry the item I ordered from the store mentioned above.

Now, as a simple comparison, I ordered ingredients that only NB and the store above sell (along with a very few others) on 16 Mar. The UPS website says it will be here 20 Mar. 4 days. Faster than I anticipated. 7 to 8 days sounds reasonable. We’ll see if my ingredients have been substituted but based on past experience the odds are it will be 100% accurate and complete.

My point: if NB can provide specialty ingredients I cannot get locally, get it to me as ordered in a reasonable timeframe — something an independent competitor cannot seem to be able to pull off — is it NB’s fault or the competitor’s?  It’s not the opposition’s responsibility to let the competition beat them. The responsibility lies with the competition.

As I said above: Nostalgia only goes so far.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:41:21 am by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:25 am »
BrewBama,   

I've never had that kind of hell-on-earth experience with any online retailer I dealt with directly;  fulfillers on Amazon are another story.  Always get just what I ordered in days.  In fact, usually quicker to ship than NB and with equally or more responsive human service.  Any chance these were mere flukes?  If not, are you willing to call out a particular retailer we should avoid or at least drop down the go-to list a few places?  No matter who they are, who owns them, retailers should be getting our business based on whether they provide a quality service.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 08:23:48 am »
BrewBama,   

I've never had that kind of hell-on-earth experience with any online retailer I dealt with directly;  fulfillers on Amazon are another story.  Always get just what I ordered in days.  In fact, usually quicker to ship than NB and with equally or more responsive human service.  Any chance these were mere flukes?  If not, are you willing to call out a particular retailer we should avoid or at least drop down the go-to list a few places?  No matter who they are, who owns them, retailers should be getting our business based on whether they provide a quality service.

I thought about calling them out by name but I am hoping it was a fluke so I don’t want to place a small smudge on their long-standing reputation.  I should add, though the phone call was *interesting*, the guy I spoke with was very service friendly. Good folks but just missed the mark.

I will say the supplier who called me concerning the yeast expiration was Atlantic Brew Supply. Great folks and great service. I just wish they had the specialty ingredients I am seeking.

I have also received great service from Great Fermentations in the past. Again, I just wish they had the specialty ingredients I am seeking.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07:24 pm »
I don't care who makes my beer, I only care about the beer.  If you're an evil empire and make good beer, I'll drink it.  If you're a charming, Quixotic mom and pop, and make crap beer, you don't get my money.

I could not agree more!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:47 am »
I was recently putting together a stout recipe with a friend.  He was entering everything in to a recipe calculator on his phone (I'm not sure which site or application).  We had everything pretty much done and he said he could click on the button to 'Buy' and we'd get everything from NB.  I told him not to, that we were going to get everything from the LHBS.

He asked why and our discussion initially went to the point that NB is owned by AB InBev, but that's not really the reason.  I have no problem whatsoever with people using whichever source they want to get the best ingredients, price, service, etc.  For me it's about having that local shop available.  I like being able to go to an actual store.  To see things in person and be able to talk to the guys working there.  If I ever drove out to my LHBS and found it closed, I would be pretty upset.  And for that reason, they'll get my business for everything I'm able to get there.

All that being said, if there was something I wanted that could only be found at NB, I wouldn't hesitate to get it from them.