Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what kind of music you listen to these days?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
what kind of music you listen to these days?
« on: March 24, 2019, 12:18:20 pm »
Music has been changing dramatically for the worse in my opinion, what kind of music/artist is your favorite?
i listen to SRV alot, devil makes three, iron maiden, megadeth, roky erickson, allman bros basically i run the gaunlet from blues to metal, i cant stand rap/hip hop how about yourself, this is a stupid thread but its the pub
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
what kind of music you listen to these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »
Classic Rock. Classic Country. Classic Blues. Classic Bluegrass. Classic R&B.

David Gilmore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vince Gill, Mark Knopfler, BB King, etc

Eagles, Pink Floyd, Dailey and Vincent, Purple Hull Peas, Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, ...anything soulful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:21:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: what kind of music you listen to these days?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:24:52 pm »
Genesis with Peter Gabriel.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »
Classic Rock. Classic Country. Classic Blues. Classic Bluegrass. Classic R&B.

David Gilmore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vince Gill, Mark Knopfler, BB King, etc

Eagles, Pink Floyd, Dailey and Vincent, Purple Hull Peas, Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, ...anything soulful.

So, classical music I take it. 😊

Ralph R.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 06:42:01 pm »
Mostly contemporary country and western, but also enjoy blues and most easy listening genres.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 09:07:41 pm »
Devil makes three for damn sure. Also love some Tom waits. Not enough Stevie ray these days but I’m sure I’ve listened enough over the years. Jazz, too. My metal days seem to be fading but the kids like some Black Sabbath.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:28:44 am »
I listen to a wide variety of music, but over the last few years spend my money to see bands and artists which are probably best described as Americana.

FWIW - I saw SRV in concert, he was the opening act for Huey Lewis & The News in 1984. Found this article about the tour.
https://www.roanoke.com/arts_and_entertainment/music/huey-lewis-jammed-with-thin-lizzy-and-stevie-ray-vaughan/article_9a06431c-02b1-11e6-b23c-37e91507bdef.html

Also saw Genesis on the ABACAB/Genesis tour in 1983. The ticket said "An Evening With Genesis" and they came out and played over 3 hours total with at least 2 encores.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 06:41:44 am »
After 50 years in the music biz, I don't really listen to music any more.  Reminds me too much of work.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:29:15 am »
I haven't really listened to music in a long time either.  (When all the radio degenerated into crap and all my old cassettes were like the waste pile from flint knapping... ;D )  Sounds kinda sad, but, I really enjoy the quiet these days.  Especially driving.  Used to be eclectic as all get out (take  BrewBama's list, add classical and jazz....)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
Tommy Roe  :D
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 06:09:02 pm »
Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

Can you tell me where my country lies?

I's just about to say... I listen most to...

Classic Mellow British Progressive Rock.  Genesis, Floyd, Marillion are faves.

And then there's Def Leppard, which are slightly "progressive" in their own way.  :)

Spending my teens and early 20s in the '90s, I'm also fond of Seattle grunge... Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, especially.  And Stone Temple Pilots.

And Smashing Pumpkins.  And Toad the Wet Sprocket.  And Big Head Todd.  Just saw BHT in MKE a couple months ago.  Fantastic bluesy bassy rock, haven't lost their groove at all since I first heard them in 1994.

And some Tom Petty for good measure.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:17:59 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:10 pm »
Black peaks, tides of man, periphery, thrice, minus the bear, tesseract, between the buried and me, the dear hunter, circa survive, oceansize, vennart, etc
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:37:37 pm by gman23 »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:47 am »
Black peaks, tides of man, periphery, thrice, minus the bear, tesseract, between the buried and me, the dear hunter, circa survive, oceansize, vennart, etc

Sad that I'm not familiar with any of those.

Currently Sirius in the truck is set on The Coffee House although as I mentioned earlier the bands I pay to see are Americana:
The Avett Brothers, Mumford & Sons, Lake Street Dive, John Paul White, The Lone Bellow, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Alabama Shakes, Jason Isbell, Mandolin Orange, etc.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 08:35:55 am »
Music has been changing dramatically for the worse in my opinion, what kind of music/artist is your favorite?
i listen to SRV alot, devil makes three, iron maiden, megadeth, roky erickson, allman bros basically i run the gaunlet from blues to metal, i cant stand rap/hip hop how about yourself, this is a stupid thread but its the pub

I have a pretty large collection of music but the scope is very narrow. Listing the heavy hitters that I always go back to:

1.) Duane Allman
Too much to list line by line but...
  • His session work
  • The Allman Brothers Band (Most Notably At Fillmore East but the whole Duane Era is a high point)
  • Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other Assorted Love Songs
  • Herbie Mann - Push Push

2.) Rod Stewart
  • Jeff Beck - Truth and Beck-Ola
  • Pre-Foot Loose and Fancy Free Solo Albums, with Every Picture Tells a Story the obvious highlight
  • Faces - All of it. One of the most underrated bands in the history of bands.

3.) Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green)
I'd wager that most don't know Fleetwood Mac started as probably the greatest of all the British Blues bands. Peter Green is a monster but Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin are also noteworthy

Too much to list line by line but...
  • All the Peter Green era studio albums and Pious Bird of Good Omen
  • Live at the Boston Tea Party (with "Let me love you" as an obvious highlight, but it's all dynamite)
  • Shrine '69

4.) Rory Gallagher
Rory Gallagher is criminally underrated and if I had to recommend a few that would have you seeking out more...
  • Live in Europe
  • Irish Tour '74

5.) The Derek Trucks Band and The Tedeschi Trucks Band

6.) Anything by Big Bill Broonzy

7.) B.B. King - Live at the Regal (You can literally hear every this record in the playing of almost every British Blues player. This is seminal for a reason.)

8.) Irma Thomas
While she has so many great songs, these are the heavy hitters if you want to know what the fuss is all about:
  • "It's Raining"
  • "Ruler of my Heart" (Note: This melody and some of the lyrics were lifted entirely for Otis Redding's "Pain in my Heart")
  • "I Need Your Love So Bad" (Note: Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac version likely takes inspiration from this version and not Little Willie John's. The British love Irma Thomas.)
  • "Anyone Who Knows What Love is Will Understand" (Black Mirror fans will know this one)
  • "Breakaway"
  • "I Done Got Over"
  • "Time is on My Side" (Note: The Stones lifted this song entirely from Irma Thomas. Even the guitar break is a near lift.)

9.) The Soul Stirrers (with Sam Cooke)
I am a huge Sam Cooke fan and this may be his best stuff. This is pre-pop star gospel music and may only be rivaled by some of Sister Rosetta Tharpe's music. Highlights include:
  • "Peace in the Valley"
  • "Come and Go to that Land"
  • "He's My Guide (Take 4 - Alternate)"
  • "Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone"

9.) Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club
This is actually a good companion piece to his gospel stuff. I recommend you listen to this in conjunction with Live at the Copa to get an idea of how far removed his roots are from pop music and the dinner crowd ambiance of the Copa CD. This is some of the rawest, grittiest music ever captured and it feels like a gospel record at heart. Listen for pretty much everything Rod Stewart ever did in these songs. Rod Stewart wrote part of the liner notes for the CD issue and says as much.

10.) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
I know that this is a cliche first purchase for people investigating Jazz music but it is just so damn good. Listen for elements of this whole record when you listen to the longer passages from the Allman Brother's Band At Fillmore East.

11.) John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Another cliche Jazz purchase I can never get tired of.

12.) Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Our third (but not final) entry into the cliche Jazz purchases of the year...

13.) Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Our fina linstallment in the cliche Jazz purchases series...

14.) Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers Era)
I am a huge Clapton fan but really focus in on the this early era...
  • John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton
  • Cream - Fresh Cream
  • Cream - All the Fresh Cream related live recordings, including "Spoonful", "Sleepy Time Time", etc.

I have a ton more but you get a sense of my wide (yet narrow) taste in music...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:37:57 am by Big Monk »

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 03:52:55 pm »
These are some of the artists in my iTunes 'Top Rated' folder.

Al Kooper, Albert King, Alex Bevan, The Animals, Audience, Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation, BB King, Big Walter Horton, Bob Dylan, Buddy Guy, Chicago, Colosseum, Cream, Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks, David Bowie, Derek & the Dominos, The Doors, Elvin Bishop, Fenton Robinson, Fleetwood Mac (w/ Peter Green),

George Thorogood, Glen Glenn, Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna, Howlin' Wolf, Jack Bruce, Jeff Beck, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Walsh, John Hammond, John Lee Hooker, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Junior Wells, The Kinks, Lightnin' Hopkins, Luther Allison, Martin Mull, The Monkees (my guilty pleasure!), Muddy Waters,

Nils Lofgren, Pacific Gas & Electric, Paul Simon, Peter Green, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Ray Davies, Robert Cray, Robert Lockwood, Jr., The Rolling Stones, Rory Gallagher, Steve Winwood, T-Bone Walker, Taj Mahal, Traffic, The Turtles, and finally, Weird Al Yankovic!

As you can tell, I'm very firmly stuck in the 60s, 70s and a bit in the 80s.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.