Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6 gallons of beer on the floor....  (Read 2263 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 6 gallons of beer on the floor....
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 07:09:45 am »
One further caveat.   Even if you are transferring under low pressure, a little hop material, yeast, trub, whatever could cause a clog and pressure could build rapidly without your noticing.
[/quote

Absolutely right, Rob!  I have seen that happen and keep a close eye on the transfer to insure that this does not happen.  I have a way larger hose barb on my inline strainer to allow the hop particles to pass right through and have for thee most part alleviated thee problem.  If I see bubbles starting to form in the transfer line, I stop things immediately and resolve the problem.  that is why i am trying to wean myself off of glass.

The other thing I employ is the orange carboy cap on a 5 gallon carboy that pops off when the pressure starts to build.   It works on my five gallon carboys.  The purple ones do not do that.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 08:49:33 am »
Like others, I've also stopped using glass carboys when brewing.  I rack straight from the primary bucket to corny keg.  But I still use them for mead sometimes because I prefer glass to plastic for long term aging.

I once had a similar experience with a carboy.  I had just racked a mead to a 6 gallon carboy and went to grab the stopper.  In the span of 10 seconds a stupid little gnat had gotten down in to the carboy.  I was able to fish it out but had a slight concern for the mead.  It was a little over 15% ABV, so I thought it would be fine.  But just in case I added a little potassium metabisulfite.  Now once meads have completely fermented out (like in this case), I use a solid stopper rather than an airlock.  When I was taping up the stopper it just didn't register that the metabisulfite was going to release some gas. 

It took a while, but about 2 weeks later that carboy broke right through the middle.  I was in the garage which is connected to the basement and heard a loud pop, followed by gushing liquid.  It took days to get everything cleaned up.  I definitely feel for you jjflash.

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
This pic bums me out - but so glad you are not hurt.

After I destroyed my first carboy (luckily empty) I gave the rest of them away. I was stunned at the many large shards and even more stunned that I didn't get cut. Plastic and SS are my vessels of choice. The only glass left in my brewery is a pyrex measuring cup and hydrometer.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 06:05:00 pm »
And that is precisely why I no longer use glass carboys. The suckers can be positively dangerous!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 01:46:22 pm »
I switched to stainless and only use 3 glass carboys for a Flanders Red solera.  Two of the three never move, and the third moves just once a year when empty after blending.

I have two fementers set up identically using two items...

The 8-gallon vessels are these: https://brewhaus.com/8-gallon-stainless-steel-moonshine-still-kettle/  A 15-gallon version is also available, but is taller.

These kits for Sanke kegs fit the 2" tri-clamp fittings on the fermenter lids: https://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

The whole 8-gallon assembly fits within a chest freezer for temperature control without needing a collar.  The 15-gallon version would require a collar - it's just a little too tall to fit.  I don't harvest yeast often, so I don't need a conical.  And, I was able to set up two of these for the price of a single conical.  These are easy to move and clean, and can even be heat-sanitized if desired.  And, CO2 pressure transfers work fine using the blow-off fitting and integrated racking cane - no worries about broken glass. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »

I don't harvest yeast often, so I don't need a conical. 

I harvest yeast every time and I dont need a conical.  IMO a conical and its fittings would just be a PITA to clean and sanitize and only very expensive ones can be pressurized.   Looks like you've got some functional and economical options there beyond the usual suspects.  (I am exceedingly pleased with my 10 gallon corny.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.