Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much corn sugar?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How much corn sugar?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 11:03:12 pm »
Have decided to use 4.65 ounces of corn sugar in six gallons of wort, which is 0.775 ounces of sugar per gallon. This is a reduction of 7.74 percent of the 0.84 ounces per gallon used by erockrph. I should be more than safe from my ceiling getting blasted when I open the first bottle. I had a batch over twenty years ago that was hideously over-carbonated. I don't ever want to do that again...

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 05:35:35 am »
As long as you are 100% certain that fermentation is 100% complete before you bottle, then yes, you are correct.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 09:22:05 am »
Don't  forget to account for fermentation temp when calculating your priming
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 11:13:00 am »

this is big. still not expert at it, but i know to use only about 1/2 to just under 2/3 thr amount of an ales sugar for a lager i kept cold with a short d rest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 11:32:31 am »

this is big. still not expert at it, but i know to use only about 1/2 to just under 2/3 thr amount of an ales sugar for a lager i kept cold with a short d rest

Or you could use a calculator
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 01:20:36 pm »

i do use a calculator, i believe the brewersfriend.com one, but just my estimate of 1/2 to 2/3 since YMMV and i believe it is not so easy to gauge what a brewers CO2 vols are while bottle priming. it all takes dialing in to ones system and to what one likes. ie. its not easy to just prime a beer using the calculator according to what you believe the residual co2 in the beer is and know it is exactly 2.4 vols. so what i believe to be 2.4 may in fact be anywhere from 2.1 to 2.7. i just dial it in to what i enjoy and believe are my numbers.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 11:26:37 pm »
I let the beer ferment for at least 18 days in a small bathroom (having a south-facing exterior wall) that is cooled by my central A/C. My limit is 20 days. During those 18 to 20 days, I'll have my A/C set to 72 degrees the entire time. There is a stick-on thermometer on the fermentation vessel, so I will be able to monitor the temperature while I am home. I do overnight trips that usually have me away from home one night per week, and two daylight runs that have me leaving home around noon and getting back around midnight. It hasn't begun to get really hot in the Reno area, but it's coming...

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 07:35:34 am »
If using a priming calculator, be sure to select the type of sugar that you are actually using (table sugar, corn sugar, etc.). Same if you are using a rule of thumb like dmtaylor uses. There is a big difference in amount needed with the various sources of sugar.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 07:44:33 am »

i do use a calculator, i believe the brewersfriend.com one, but just my estimate of 1/2 to 2/3 since YMMV and i believe it is not so easy to gauge what a brewers CO2 vols are while bottle priming. it all takes dialing in to ones system and to what one likes. ie. its not easy to just prime a beer using the calculator according to what you believe the residual co2 in the beer is and know it is exactly 2.4 vols. so what i believe to be 2.4 may in fact be anywhere from 2.1 to 2.7. i just dial it in to what i enjoy and believe are my numbers.
The Brewers Friend calculator acknowledges this uncertainty:
"However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point."
I would love to have something more definite, but it is what it is.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2023, 09:59:15 pm »
There is so much information gained from actual experience in these pages, I feel very fortunate to have been allowed to join the site.