Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: How much bleach?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: How much bleach?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2023, 04:18:46 pm »
Yes; I have a dishwasher. I suspect it's not doing the job because I'm seeing dried-on food remains after two wash cycles. I rent my billet, so getting a new dishwasher would be quite a task. Management has no desire to spend any money that might make life better for the tenants. I'm thinking the pump in the thing is buggered. I expect I'll soon be washing dishes by hand-- like I did decades ago when I was in college. I learned to wash dishes by hand when I was not yet twelve years old. It's one of those things you never forget...

Food remaining on your dishes can be an indication the food screen at the bottom of you dish washer needs to be emptied and cleaned.  Not all dish washers have one but it would be worth taking a look to get your dishes cleaner.  They are removable from the inside (generally) so nothing to disassemble.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How much bleach?
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2023, 10:13:21 am »
Would some solution of 91% isopropyl alcohol and water be a good sanitizer? The alcohol would speed the drying of the solution and the stuff is cheap at Walmart. If my thinking is correct, 91% alcohol has 29.12 ounces of pure alcohol in a total solution of 32 ounces. You'd have a 4.35% solution of alcohol in five gallons of water plus the 29.12 ounces of pure alcohol: 29.12/669.12 = 0.0435. If that's too low a concentration, we can go to four gallons. That would make a solution of 5.38 percent.

I have to ask: If alcohol can kill the type of bacteria we want to kill, why do we not use it instead of StarSan or any of the other brewery washes available? Maybe it just isn't powerful enough?