Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish ale  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Scottish ale
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 03:27:21 pm »

D-90 certainly saves time,

What I was thinking when I mentioned in response to Denny there must be an easier way even than boiling down the first runnings.   Wonder if some grade of crystal might have a similar effect.   I make Invert in big batches to economize on the time, but still it is a task, and if I were to put a price on my time... well, that's why I've thought of using the Belgian stuff.   Again, I look forward to hearing how you think it turns out.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:24 pm »

D-90 certainly saves time,

What I was thinking when I mentioned in response to Denny there must be an easier way even than boiling down the first runnings.   Wonder if some grade of crystal might have a similar effect.   I make Invert in big batches to economize on the time, but still it is a task, and if I were to put a price on my time... well, that's why I've thought of using the Belgian stuff.   Again, I look forward to hearing how you think it turns out.

I think the boildown gives me a different flavor than crystal. And FWIW, I've only seen it recommended for wee heavy, not lower gravity Scottish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 03:47:01 pm »

And FWIW, I've only seen it recommended for wee heavy, not lower gravity Scottish.

That makes sense.  Since the Scots were early adopters of sparging, resulting in thinner worts than the English got without sparging, those strong Scottish ales at least must have required a much longer boil.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 11:00:11 am »
Gah!  Ron Pattison has spent much blood, toil, sweat and tears trying to dispel the homebrew myth of boiled down first runnings or long boils in Scottish brewing.  They rarely boiled more than 60 minutes traditionally, shorter than south of the border.   But like all British brewers they've long used dark Invert syrups.   I think the D-90 would be a tasty take on that.  Please send a pint when ready. :)  Seriously, I've thought about subbing D-90 in a British beer.  Report how it turns out.

Forgot to comment on this.  While this is all true, it takes 4 hours to make Invert No. 3. 

No way does it take 4 hours to make Invert #3. An hour and a half to two hours max.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:10 am »
Gah!  Ron Pattison has spent much blood, toil, sweat and tears trying to dispel the homebrew myth of boiled down first runnings or long boils in Scottish brewing.  They rarely boiled more than 60 minutes traditionally, shorter than south of the border.   But like all British brewers they've long used dark Invert syrups.   I think the D-90 would be a tasty take on that.  Please send a pint when ready. :)  Seriously, I've thought about subbing D-90 in a British beer.  Report how it turns out.

Forgot to comment on this.  While this is all true, it takes 4 hours to make Invert No. 3. 

No way does it take 4 hours to make Invert #3. An hour and a half to two hours max.
Takes me the better part of an hour setting up and getting to 240°F, then hold it for 3-3.5 hours for no. 3.... why I love the oven method now.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 01:34:39 pm »
So, I ended up brewing this:

Groundskeeper Willie’s Tipple

OG 1.058, 10 gallons

18 lbs. Simpson’s Golden Promise
3 lbs. Simpson’s  Golden Naked Oats
0.25 lbs. Simpson’s Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs. Simpson’s Peated Malt

Mash-in at 158°F for 90 minutes. Batch sparge to collect 14 gallons.  Boil for 120 minutes to reduce to 11 gallons.

2 oz. Northern Brewer 60 minutes
2 lbs. D-90 Belgian Candi Syrup 10 minutes.

Split into two fermenters. Pitched one with Imperial Tartan yeast, the second with White Labs Edinburgh yeast. Both are chugging along nicely.

And, before the style nazis start in, you can't even taste the 1% peated malt addition. ;)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 05:33:08 pm »
And, before the style nazis start in, you can't even taste the 1% peated malt addition. ;)

Then what's the point of adding it?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 11:47:52 am »

Then what's the point of adding it?

If you had known chumley as long as I have, you'd get the joke
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell