Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging Neipa, what to do with last hop addition?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline bustyraker

• 1st Kit
Kegging Neipa, what to do with last hop addition?
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:59 am »
Hello all, I recently brewed my first Neipa and added my first dry hop addition this morning. I plan on kegging this weekend or on day 10 of fermentation. Should I add my second hop bag in the fermenter and let it set for a few days and then keg or just put the bag in the keg and leave it there? I dont want to have to open the keg later to retrieve it and waste co2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Kegging Neipa, what to do with last hop addition?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:34:07 am »
I've always just added the 2nd dry hop in the fermenter loose and cold crashed it right before moving to keg.  You need to drink the NEIPA fast, so not too much hop aroma/flavor drops out in the keg.  I find mine to start to go around week 6-7 in the keg.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 07:56:49 am »
You can put the bag in the keg and leave it there.  Depending on the fermenter you use, putting your 2nd dryhop addition in the keg is preferable because you can purge the keg headspace with CO2 better than the fermenter headspace.

Offline bustyraker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:04:45 am »
You can put the bag in the keg and leave it there.  Depending on the fermenter you use, putting your 2nd dryhop addition in the keg is preferable because you can purge the keg headspace with CO2 better than the fermenter headspace.
Should I try to tie it to something or just let the bag float in there loose?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:16:35 pm »
I don't do NEIPAs, but I frequently dry hop (whole cone) in the keg. I always use a bag with a large glass marble to help it get in contact with the beer. Never had a flow issue.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:24 pm »
I don't do NEIPAs, but I frequently dry hop (whole cone) in the keg. I always use a bag with a large glass marble to help it get in contact with the beer. Never had a flow issue.
I swear people who dry hop are probably the only thing keeping the marble industry going in the 21st century!  ;D  A stainless nut, bolt, fitting, etc. is a good substitute.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:45:09 am »
I swear people who dry hop are probably the only thing keeping the marble industry going in the 21st century!  ;D  A stainless nut, bolt, fitting, etc. is a good substitute.

Aggie or Cat's Eye?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 07:17:21 am »
I think it's an Aggie Shooter due do it's size.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:35:10 pm »
My IPA's get a floating pickup (clear beer system) that has a filter screen on it. Pellet dry hops get tossed "free-ball" directly into the keg. Actively fermenting beer with 3-4 gravity points remaining gets racked into the keg on top of the hops. Hop aroma/flavor lasts until the keg is kicked.

Offline John

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 07:25:18 pm »
My IPA's get a floating pickup (clear beer system) that has a filter screen on it. Pellet dry hops get tossed "free-ball" directly into the keg. Actively fermenting beer with 3-4 gravity points remaining gets racked into the keg on top of the hops. Hop aroma/flavor lasts until the keg is kicked.

These are very good. I also use a tea ball and fill halfway with hops and it does a great job of keeping getting floaters and have never had an issue with clogs.