Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: WLP004  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: WLP004
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 10:55:18 am »
Looks like your guys are looking at the manufacturer's info that says it can go to 74%.  But that's the max they got in the lab with a wort made to be as fermentable as possible.   In the real world... different story.   I'd happily drink a pint of your beer.
I brewed a batch using this yeast a few weeks ago. I mashed at 154F, with 2 lbs of caramel malts (C120, Caramunich, Special B) in a 13 lb grain bill. I got 78% attenuation (1.057 to 1.012). It did that in 3 days. I have had some extremely vigorous and fast fermentations with WLP004.

The thermal contact between beer in a carboy (or keg) and air is pretty poor, and can allow for a significant temperature rise in the middle of the beer. Immersing the carboy in water does a much better job of transferring heat out of the beer. I have done this and measured a temperature difference from center of beer to water bath of less than 1 degree F, and that was with one of those crazy WLP004 fermentations. More typical is 0.5 F at the peak of fermentation-generating heat. Another way is to use a cooling coil inside the liquid. Anvil now makes one for carboys for $99.99:
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-cs-carb.htm

I haven't used this, but am considering purchasing their coil alone ($20) and using it with my home-built cooling system.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:24 pm »
UPDATE

So It's April. This beer was rowdy all February and March. Hot, alcoholic, too sweet, then acrid tasting. It was also brown trub color with a dirty yellow snow colored head.

*A MONTH LATER it tastes fantastic. The Northern Brewer hops sparkle and shine. It tastes balanced and makes you want to drink more and more. It has also turned a bright ruby red color, crystal clear in the glass with a nice white head.

I said for a month that I was going to dump it. That I would never brew with french kiln coffee again, that I would never again use this WLP004. I was wrong.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 11:21:20 am »
That's good to hear.  I'm brewing a stout this coming weekend with WLP004.  I'll be watching to see if I get a fast fermentation as well.  I think I've used this yeast before, but it's been years.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 11:57:03 am »
I used WLP004 recently on an Irish pale stout (just added much less roasted barley and dark roast) and I found that it became much more drinkable after a month, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"